Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1999 Sebring keyless door lock prob.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Default 1999 Sebring keyless door lock prob.

1999 Sebring JXI conv. The water drain holes in the body clogged and the car took on water. It flooded the floor till I found and fixed the issue. It took out the obvious radio amp on the floor which is currently disconnected.
Since this happened the keyless door locks do not work at all, doors or trunk. The doors and trunk also do not work with the car off. But if the ignition is on, the trunk button in the console and the door switch on the drivers door do work. The doors lock when I drive too. I have not been able to find a fuse etc that is blown. At least that's my assumption right after a water problem.
I turned off the radio asap and am letting the amp air dry for a while before re-installing it. But so far everything else seems to work.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 PM

You might have a problem with the remote keyless entry antenna. Could be all that humidity in the car while it was flooded caused a little corrosion to develop somewhere in a connection and the signal can't get through. Sometimes just disconnecting and connecting the plugs is enough.

After 10 years, it may also be time to replace the batteries in the remotes.

Good luck with the amp. Electronic things usually don't survive drowning.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Can you help me with where the antenna / receiver are located.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Assuming it's similar to my '01, it plugs into the body control module which, in turn, is plugged into the junction block (fuse panel at the left end of the instrument panel). Not real easy to get to. Try the batteries first.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Even easier than that. I have found that everything works IF I have the ignition switch on. I noted in the first message that the door lock switch and the truck switch in the console only work when the car is on. Well that's also true of the keyless entry. So it seems to be that I've got a lack of power when the car is off.
Also but maybe not part of: I put the power amp back in but get no lights on the radio. The radio is an after market upgrade digital/mp3 etc.
Thanks for you help so far.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM

Check your IOD fuse. It's the one in the middle of the fuse panel (inside) with ears on it. It's job is to supply current to things that are supposed to work without the key, like the remote entry, clock in the radio and power seats.

The power is supposed to come from the radio to the amp, not the other way. Maybe they did something weird when they installed the aftermarket radio.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM

These cars have water drain plugs? Where are they located? There is a leak in my 1998 JX top and water gets in the back and sloshes around until I shop vac it out and i think its leaking down inside my body and settling on the floorboard in the back seat.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks to dcotter0579 I found the drain holes between the wheel wells and was able to open them and what seems like 6 gallons of water came out. The car is dry now after a vacuum and a few days.
I also found that fuse he talked about and its has fixed the radio and keyless entry problems. I have not however turned on the radio to see if the preamp is okay yet. I've had such a great week and my luck has been so great with license plate issues, the water, the fuse, xmas lights, etc. that I'm too scared to push my luck and turn the radio on. But there's not much anyone can do if the amp is blown so I'm pretty much done with this thread.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Sorry armybonzola. I meant to add that the drain is not so much a plug but just a hole. There is what I want to call a seam weld along the bottom of the car under the door where you put the jack. The floor metal and the metal along under the door are welded together and it looks like every few inches/feet they put like a popsicle stick in and made a drain hole. I pushed a small jewelers screwdriver in the one in the back about 6 inches from the rear wheel well. Kinda just under the rear side window. It just drizzled water for minutes. I got a larger screwdriver and cleaned it out more as well as the other side. I'm told there are more than one, but I only cleaned out one. And yes, I heard water sloshing around and almost thought it was the gas tank but knew it wasn't since I've never heard it in 9 years. And the floor was wet so that was the other give away. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Default 1999 Sebring keyless door lock prob

Last week our 04 XJ8 VDP took on a new quirk. After removing the key from the ignition while the door was open the "door-open" chime continued to ding as if the key was still in the ignition. Of course the car wont lock or unlock w/ the keyless remotes but does lock/unlock with the key in the door 2 beeps every time. A similar situation was covered here a couple years ago. In that instance it was the little door on the ignition barrell that wasnt closing when the key was removed but it seems to be closing just fine in my case. I dabbed a little oil on the key to oil the door as mentioned in that thread but that didnt do the trick either.Any ideas? Sorry if this has been covered but I searched the forum and couldnt seem to find the fix.Thanks

Quick Reply: 1999 Sebring keyless door lock prob.