Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1999 Sebring LXi Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Question 1999 Sebring LXi Engine Dies

I was driving my Sebring today at about 50 miles per hour. All of a sudden the engine died and my R.P.M.s dropped to zero. I was about to pull over when it picked back up and it was running at 2500 R.P.M.s and kept going like nothing had happened. Has anyone else had this problem and how can I fix it?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:52 PM

Check to see if the incident generated any codes in the engine computer.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM

How do I check the codes?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Go to Autozone and ask them if they will check for codes. They do it for free at most stores (except California). They will attach an OBD II code reader to your car and read error codes from the engine computer.
If you are willing to spend the money, you can buy a code reader and do it yourself. You can buy one for $50-100 if you look around on the internet.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM

you probably have the same problem as my 1999 Sebring Coupe LXI...read the notes I have here under rocketvdo. my guess is you wont find any codes like with mine...
Good luck to us both because I am still chasing my problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Default OBD II code reader

Well ran the car and when I got home it quit again lol this time it did not start the next day,that's new so I borrowed my brothers OBD II code reader and did the code look up before I tried again to start hoping a code would be there.
none in the system so hit the key and it started while I had the OBD II code reader connected it quit checked the reader and no code.
maybe time to make a parts car out of it. I would never buy another Chrysler product again!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:26 PM

"I would never buy another Chrysler product again!"
Actually, your Sebring coupe is not built by Chrysler but by Mitsubishi. It never ceases to amaze me how crummy Japanese cars can get when you put an American car manufacturer's name on them. Remember the Dodge Colt? Total POS, made in Japan.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:20 PM

So I took my car to get the codes read, and none were tripped, which i figured because the check engine light wasn't on. I was driving the car last night and the car shut down again, this time on a hill with a car right behind me. I tried punching the gas to get it going again, but it didn't work. I put the car in park, and then tried to take it back out of park, but the button wouldn't go down on the gear selector. I then turned the key off and turned the car back on and it worked fine all the way home. You can probably see why I am worried about this problem, as it can be dangerous on hills. Also, when I was trying to get the car to go, the lights on the instrument panel started going crazy.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM

With no codes and an intermittent problem it's pretty much all guesswork here. Could be a bad or weak ASD (auto shut-down) relay, or it could be a bad engine computer or some bad wiring/bad ground somewhere.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM

OK, so the car hasn't completely stalled in a couple days (knock on wood), but it stutters sometimes, almost hits like a dead spot. It has a remote starter on it and maybe that is causing a problem with the computer? I think it also may be the fuel pump. It might be picking up some stuff in the fuel from filling up at gas stations with some not so very good quality fuel. It tends to stall on inclines.

Quick Reply: 1999 Sebring LXi Engine Dies