Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2.7 performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Default 2.7 performance mods?

I have a 2004 Sebring. I heard bad things about the 2.7, but it all seems to be with older ones. Mine is around 70,000km (45K miles) and there is not a trace of sludge or anything. I use Castrol Syntec every 3000 miles.
It performs great at 200hp. It does lack a bit of power on take off, but makes up for it over 4500 rpm. I don't seem to turn up much looking for mods on this.
Does anyone have successful mods done to theirs? Do you have any drag strip times? It's the wifes car, but I do like to loose these kids and their barking honda's when I drive it. In my hemi ram I like to show the ricer's how to smoke american rubber.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: 2.7 performance mods?

I have the same model and have found the 2.7 to be one of the smoothest engines that I have ever owned. Concur that the power at the low end is just average but the engines never seems to strain. The only minor change that I have done is to change from the platitum spark plugs to the copper, NGK in particular. I found that there is slightly better acceleration along with improved gas mileage. I wouldn't mind hearing about any other mods available.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM

That's the first thing I noticed about the car actually: how smooth the engine ran. Almost steady like an inline 6. I just hope with regular maintenance that the tranny will keep up to the engine.
I found this on another site concerning the stratus sedan...
"There are one from F-5 performance and dreamspeed. I have an F-5 performance and it is great. His site is currently down because of hacking earlier in year. If you join the 2gss.org he is on there and will most likely sell you one. Or try dreamspeed2.com and his site is up. Hope this can help"
I've found nothing for exhaust or chip yet. I don't think I want to mess with camshafts.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 AM

My first run on 1/4 miles with my stock Sebring 04 LX was 15.975 at 90.2 MPH with .645 reaction vs stock 2007 Mazda 3 2,3, 16,002 at 88 MPH
It was a warm sunny day, I think that I can do better because the mazda drop is strip time by 0.4 sec later in the evening and the next time I'll try to shift in LO gear because the transmission will just shift around 6 300 RPM near to the redline 1-2-3. I think that I'll be faster next time.
For the mods I think that it was complicated for the moment to find some parts but I'll stay positive.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 AM

So far I have installed a 40 series flowmaster muffler, and a K&N air filter. Just with those I noticed a smoother ride and better acceleration off the line. I have also installed a complete audio system made up of JL Audio and Alpine.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:43 PM

I have a 2004 2.7L sebring and am looking for parts aswell, its not an easy thing on these cars. I have a K&N filter but thats about it, I am currently looking into a cat back system but it is not looking good. mrchyzy16 did you just install the muffler or did you get custom pipe from the cat, I talked to a local shop and they say they can just cut my muffler off and put a new one on, im guessing it would help.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Also i was wondering if anyone has looked into the Secret Weapon Air Intake for the 01-03 2.7L Sebrings, I was under the imprssion that the 01-06 had the same style engine, which would allow the 01-03 the fit, or am I wrong.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 AM

I had them cut the old exhaust off and take out the resonator. It sounds AWESOME. Pretty damn good for a six.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 AM

These engines are very similar the the 3.0L in Dodge Stealths (6G7x family). They aren't real easy to make fast without some sort of forced induction. I can understand people wanting a little more kick in their ride, but why take a boulevard cruiser to the drag strip, that's not really what these cars are all about.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM

I'm new to this forum. My wife owns the 2004 2.7L Sebring, and she wants a little more "kick" out of it. So I'm looking to find vendors or sources of performance parts for it. Judging by the tight pulley arrangement, superchargers are out of the question.... So that easily rules out the supercharger. That leaves the turbocharger for any kind of noticeable "Kick"

So then where to get the turbo kit?

If there is no turbo kit, is there a vendor that sells parts necessary to a turbo install?

Colder Range Spark Plugs?
around 30 lb/hr fuel injectors?
PCM tuning software/tuner?
Larger MAF?
Larger Throttle Bodies?

The Exhaust manifolds can be custom made....the turbocharger can be purchased almost anywhere along with intercoolers external wastegates and universal intake plumbing kits.
Tuning is the most important, so that's kinda the big question.

As for the question of why add power to a Sebring... the answer is in another question... why turbocharge a PT cruiser? Because America favors the Underdog and worships it's "sleepers". People like to have things no one else has, or better than everyone elses. Me personally, going from my Grand Prix to the Sebring leaves me wondering why we even got the sebring. It's smaller, gets worse gas mileage, has all sorts of quirks, much slower, and has that nasty oil sludging concern in the back of my mind everytime I drain the oil.

Yes I'm aware that adding a turbocharger adds the risk of added engine wear. Chances are running less than 6psi intercooled won't be that hard on the engine if tuned properly, and give something like 60hp of grunt that it truely needs.

This surely wouldn't be the first custom turbo I've made, but it looks to be the most challenging.

Quick Reply: 2.7 performance mods?