Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 sebring convertible, eletrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Default 2000 sebring convertible, eletrical

I just recently purchased a 2000 Sebring Convertible and Im having a few eletrical issues. When I start the ignition the blinkers, windshield wipers, and radio do not appear to work. When I turn the key back all three of those items wll work and sometimes I can crank it and they will work as well but rarely. I have checked the fuses and none of them seem to be blown so im puzzled. It might be fuses, or another issue. Does anyone have a solution or an idea to what might be the problem?

Responses greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Not sure what you are saying here. When you turn the key to the "start" position, nothing other than the lights should be working while the starter is cranking. When you release the key and it goes to the "run" position, all those other things should work. The starter requires a very heavy current from the battery. Because of that, the accessories are blocked out during cranking.
Does that answer your question?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Default starting problems 2000 sebring convertible

Hi guys, I have the same problem with starting. My car will start o.k but apart from headlights everything else is dead; wipers, radio, heater etc. Would really appreciate some input. Is this fuses or something else?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Begin by checking the fuses. You can pull them out one by one and look at them closely to determine if they are burned out. If any are burned out, replace them with new ones of the same rating. If they are not burned out then you have a different issue. Could be a dead body computer.

If your 2000 is like my 2001, there are 2 fuse panels: one under the hood and one at the left end of the dash. Check your owners manual for details. Thee should be a legend on the inside of the cover of the fuse panel describing which fuse does what.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM

It looks like this is an old thread, but someone else may have the same issue and find it. Replace the ignition switch. Do not insert your key.....
Tools you'll need...
1 Philipps screw drive.
2 #10 security torx bit. ( Harbor Freight has a kit for under 10.00)
3 # 8 security torx bit.
Disconnect the battery. You have to remove the dash cover, knee bolster, before you can take off the steering column cover. Unplug all the connectors, remove the two #10 security security torx screws on top of the switch assembly, ( head lights, wipers). On the left side of the column, opposite of the key cylinder, is the ignition switch. It is held in with a #8 security torx bit. Remove the screw, and pull straight out. A new switch is about $25. From AutoZone. Set the new switch and the old one, side by side, with the oblong holes facing up, and clock them to the same angle. Be careful reinstalling, there is a plastics shaft that engages the starter contact, when the key is turned. It took me about an hour to replace mine.