Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 JXi Convertible - Replace Evaporator Core

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Default 2001 JXi Convertible - Replace Evaporator Core

Due to the current economy, I need to try to replace my evaporator core myself.

I haven't worked on a car in about 25 years but was a mechanic then and did a lot of A/C work although now I can barely recognize an engine.

From what I can tell, I can get a unit online for about $200 and it's about a days labor because the entire dash needs to be pulled.

Can anyone give me an opinion as to if you think I could take this on myself without having any 'leftover screws' and if so, what manual or other resources I would need? I have a full set of basic tools but nothing specialized.

Thanks much for any advice.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Go out and buy a Haynes manual (25040) for your vehicle, available either on line or at your local auro parts store. There are instructions in there for removal of the dash. After you have read through the chapter, you can decide for yourself whether you and your tool box are up to the task. It's worthwhile having the book even if you decide not to attempt this project.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM

I picked up the manual and it's nice and clear. Having complete instructions make's it pretty straight forward.

Thanks much for the direction.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM

To assist in taking apart the dash, I would invest in a set of trim tools. They are plastic pry bars of various configurations. They'll set you back less than $10 and be worth many times that in reduced aggravation and scarring of the plastic parts.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 AM

I just called Autozone and they don't know of anything. Would it be specific to Chrysler or Sebring? I have some old door panel and handle tools but looking at the dash diagrams everything is curved so the flat tools that I have probably wouldn't help.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM

I just called Autozone and they don't know of anything.
When I re-read this it looked like I said that people at Autozone don't know anything. Just to be clear, I should have said that I called Autozone and the person I spoke with didn't know about such a tool set.

(I don't want to be a newbius insultis)

Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 PM

You can find them at Harbor Freight and at Mustangs Unlimited. I'm sure they are elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Found one.

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 PM

You could do a great service for the readers of this forum by photographing your project as you go and then writing it up at the end.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM

I think that's a good idea. I've actually found an unemployed neighbor to do the work but I may have to do the A/C myself. The Haynes book is pretty complete but probably the best thing for others to know would be concerning an A/C component.

As a note for others, I got the set of trim tools from HarborFreightTools. About $8 + $7 shipping but still the cheapest total price and a pretty complete looking set. I got #67021 Trim/Molding Tool. Knowing that something like this exists and for the price, I would definitely recommend having a set.

Quick Reply: 2001 JXi Convertible - Replace Evaporator Core