Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring Convertible 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Default 2001 Sebring Convertible 2.7

I have an 01 Sebring Convertible with a bad 2.7. I do not want another 2.7 so please don't recommend it. I know they claim they fixed the problems from a certain year onwards but I am looking at local junk yards for a different engine and ANY 2.7 is hard to come by, much less a newer one in good shape.

I have read countless threads saying that yes a swap can be done and others saying no, your stuck with the 2.7... Some say 3.2 or 3.5 will work fine, well I bought a 3.2 from a 99 intrepid... the PS and AC are not in the same locations on the engine which is going to require some rerouting of those lines... I also read that the engine mounts will work... As far as I can see, no they wont... it appears like the back mount from the 2.7 will work but the front mount won't bolt to the engine and the front mount from the 3.2 wont bolt to the frame... Then there is the problem with the exhaust... The 2.7 headers wont mount to the 3.2 and the 3.2 headers dont have the cat bolted to them which means I will have to somehow install a cat where there isnt room for one...

So unless someone can point me in a direction to get that 3.2 in without casting a new mount and tell me where I can install a car. I am asking what engine BESIDES ANOTHER 2.7 can I put in this sebring CONVERTIBLE? 2.0? 2.4? 2.5? 3.0? I would prefer not to change the transmission but if I do then will I also have to change the half shafts?

I am not in a position to get rid of this car nor am I in a posistion to pay a mechanic to do all the work. I am not a licensed mechanic, however I have performed multiple rebuilds on GM, Dodge, Ford and even do all my own work on my Jaguar. I feel I am completely capable of doing the swap myself so long as it doesnt take machineing the engine or casting a custom motor mount...

And I would prefer FACTS not opinions... And I dont care which engine has more power... Just will it swap...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM

NO........

Even if you get it bolted in.....There is a matter of electronics. the 2.7 computer will NOT run a 3.2/3.5....

Swapping computers means swapping harnesses...After that is done, there is the matter of vehicle security, and key programming, which will require a new skim module, If the donor computer is willing to have anything to do with him. Then you'll be buying a new computer and having it programmed, But to what...your existing VIN, says 2.7...

It is doable, with loads of cash, and alot of creativity, But for the daily driver that doesnt run...It just isnt feasible.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

the intakes on the 3.2 and 3.5 wont fit under the sebring hood any way

Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM

the intakes on the 3.2 and 3.5 wont fit under the sebring hood any way
Nice catch...I didnt even think of that...

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

watched a utube video of a guy putting a 4.0 in a sebring the intake is monster had to drive with the hood off.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM

So is there an engine that will work in a 01 convertible besides another 2.7? 2.5, 2.5, 3.0?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM

typo:

Meant 2.4, 2.5 or 3.0?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM

You can scratch off 3.0 and 2.5 from that list.
Since they were built with 2.4's, it's probably safe to assume that you could get a 2.4 in there and with the right plumbing, wiring, computer etc, get it to work.
But seriously, if you install anything but what was in there originally, you are only setting yourself up for a bigger headache than you have now. No Chrysler dealership will ever touch the car, nor will most reputable mechanics, because they'd be flying blind, with no possible guidance as to how to repair it when it needs it. You will have an unsellable vehicle, because no sane person would buy the car. Meanwhile you will have spent far more in modifications than the car was ever or will ever be worth.
And it'll still be just a Sebring. If you so desperately want to re-power the thing, then go whole hog, drop a Corvette engine and driveline in there and show it off at hot-rod shows. At least you'll have the fun and satisfaction of having the fastest Sebring in the world.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I know they claim they fixed the problems from a certain year onwards but I am looking at local junk yards for a different engine and ANY 2.7 is hard to come by, much less a newer one in good shape.
Not true....well...at least not for your application.....

01+02 use the early computer system, The 03+later use The newer system. It will work, but is more of a headache than it is worth....You would need a complete donor car, Because Buying Individual bits and Pieces would be suicide.

2.4 would work...the 2.5 and 3.0 are Mitsu designs, and ...well forget it....

But as Mentioned, it is quite a bit of modification, ...Im Glad DCotter said it instead of me, But in the end...you still have "JUST ANOTHER SEBRING"...

then go whole hog, drop a Corvette engine and driveline in there and show it off at hot-rod shows. At least you'll have the fun and satisfaction of having the fastest Sebring in the world.

There was a kid in the neighborhood, who Cut up a Plymouth Horizon, and stuffed an Injected 360 in it...M22 and the Rear diff from a Chevy Vega.... It only had 1 seat, and the driveshaft tunnel came up to your Knees....But it was definitely BAD-ASSED.

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 04-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:28 PM

from what I have seen to go with the 2.4 i would need the engine (ofcourse), transmission, right side half shaft, and computer... the exhaust should mount with minor mods and the mounts should fit to the fram without a problem... is this correct?

if so, what years and what models had the compatible 2.4?
sebring?
stratus?
cirrus?

Quick Reply: 2001 Sebring Convertible 2.7