Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Sebring LXi transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Default 2001 Sebring LXi transmission issue

I have searched the forums and haven't found an issue quite like mine. I have a 2001 Sebring LXi with the 3.0L V6. I was driving down the highway and slowed to make a turn, as I accelerated coming out of the turn it was like the car was in neutral. Was able to coast the car to a parking lot. It will not engage into any gear, forward or reverse. I took the car to a local shop to have the codes pulled. What I got from them was contradictory to what I have been reading. They said it was a code 45 and that meant there was an issue with second gear. They claimed that a rebuild or new transmission would be my only solution and that they would not perform that service. Up to this point, very occasionally the car would have a hesitated shift into second gear when accelerating, but it was not very often. I am thinking it is solenoid pack related but would appreciate some of your expert advice. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Code 45 in a 2001 vehicle? Code 45 is an OBD I code. They went out in 1997. It's just a generic code for transmission problems. I suspect that the mechanic just guessed at that. Your 2001 vehicle is an OBD II system. There should be more information available but you will have to go to someplace with more sophisticated equipment to retreive it. A good transmission shop should have the diagnostic equipment necessary. Because this is a transmission issue, not any OBDII code reader will be able to get in there.
There's no point in anybody here just guessing, which is all anybody can do from long distance without a proper diagnosis.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Default yep, that's it

Well, the very same thing has happened to me in just about the same way. Going down the interstate and when I come up to the exit ramp all of a sudden, it doesn't go anymore. I was able to get it home and started reading up on this and found this forum. By what I'm reading on here it's a transmission solenoid pack that is the problem. I have it off now but having trouble finding one. Anybody know where I can get on of these....the whole part, not just one solenoid. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Search the web. They are sold everywhere. eBay, Rock Auto, etc.

Beware that it could be many things other than the solenoid pack. You give no specifics about your vehicle like model or year, but if that doesn't do the trick, then there are many diagnostic procedures that can be run.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 06-26-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Default Thanks for the info

It's a 2001 Chrysler Sebring, 3.0L, LXi, and this one doesn't have a solenoid pack on it like all the pictures that I've seen. There is nothing on this car that even resembles it. It's not external for sure. This car has a pan on the front of the bell housing with a dip stick going into it. I'm thinking now that I wish it did have one on the outside, it would be easier to accomplish this task. When the pan came off, and a lot of fluid came out of course, there was a block with 5 solenoids attached to it on the valve body. Could this be the culprit? I may be burning this car.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Well, I will post since I had mine fixed. My car does NOT have the solenoid pack like everyone keeps referencing to. What happened with mine was the wave spring broke and then all hell cut loose. Wound up taking it to AAMCO to get it repaired.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 PM

I am guessing that yours is a coupe since you have the 3.0 engine. Coupes were built by Mitsubishi. I thought they used the Chrysler 41TE transmission, but maybe not.

Check the Mutsu boards and see if you can find out anything more about your problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Default I found it

Hey all,

After much searching I finally found what I was looking for. This forum helped me out by getting me to ask the right questions. You were right about the Mitsubishi parts, that's what it is for sure. This is a F4A41 Mitsubishi transmission and the solenoid pack is on the valve body. Now all I have to do is find a place where I can purchace the valve body. In case anyone ever needs help to identify you can go to centralvalvebodies.com and they have pics of all of the different ones. Thanks to all who responded.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM

Did you change the valve body or just the solenoid pack? We bought the solenoid pack for a chrysler after reading all the problems others were having. Now when I went to change it and couldn't find it even after calling a transmission shop, I found it to be the same as yours, dipstick at the top of a pan. So I am curious if you just changed the solenoid on the valve body or replaced the valve body.