Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2001 Upper Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Default 2001 Upper Ball Joint

So what is the deal, can the upper ball joint be replaced or does the entire arm have the be replaced? I have heard some say one or the other. This is on a 2001 Sebring Sedan 4 cyl, DOHC.

Thanks- Jeff

Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Default RE: 2001 Upper Ball Joint

at the dealer you might have to buy it as a complete assy try a parts house they might sell by it self

Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: 2001 Upper Ball Joint

Autozone sells them separately, so they must be able to be replaced. You may need someone with a press to get them out. I've had vehicles like that in the past, but I'm not sure about the Sebring.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Cool

I was about to create a new thread but read a few of these olders posts about replacing an upper ball joint (front control arm).

Definitely can say the front control arm for Sebring Sedans 2001-2005 is seperate from the ball joint so therefore the ball joint is removable but you need a press tool for both removing the old upper ball joint and installing the new upper ball joint back onto the upper control arm.

This link was the most helpful and made everything clear as day.

* Chrysler Sebring/200 Convertible Club * • Front Upper Ball Joint Install

I wish I could post this as a tutorial so folks don't have go searching the back pages for this information but the instructions on sebringclub are not my own so that would not be right. I might document everything when I do it on my own car (04' Sebring LE Sedan) but that's the last part of information I was missing. Ball joints for many cards are the pressing kind and without the key piece of information it could turn a mole hill into mountain and there is not reason for that. Also, no reason to take a sledge hammer to your automobiile and risk further repair. Even us cars are allowed to value are free time right?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM

I can confirm that this works. I have done this four times (two cars, both sides). If you want to document your work, please do so and post it up. I would suggest you do it as an album in the photo section of the Chrysler forum. These threads in the Sebring forum here tend to get buried after time and they get lost.

This whole subject has been discussed here earlier. People have noticed that they can buy the complete upper arm and ball joint for about the same price or less than the ball joint alone, but it turns out that if you replace the upper arm, you must remove and disassemble the strut, which requires more tools and more expense that simply pressing out the ball joint.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
I can confirm that this works. I have done this four times (two cars, both sides). If you want to document your work, please do so and post it up. I would suggest you do it as an album in the photo section of the Chrysler forum. These threads in the Sebring forum here tend to get buried after time and they get lost.

This whole subject has been discussed here earlier. People have noticed that they can buy the complete upper arm and ball joint for about the same price or less than the ball joint alone, but it turns out that if you replace the upper arm, you must remove and disassemble the strut, which requires more tools and more expense that simply pressing out the ball joint.
Was going to finally post documentation but when I click on the Photo tab of the site to view all albums it says I do not have permission because...

"
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."
Do I need to have more posts under my belt or something?