Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring 2.7 V6 Engine issue - Is it real?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Default 2002 Sebring 2.7 V6 Engine issue - Is it real?

Hi folks. I currently have a 95 Cirrus that is on it's last legs and my folks have a 2002 Sebring they would gift me. Thing is I am a little leery about taking it since it needs a new water pump and shortly will need exhaust work.

The big issue is all the complaints I hear about the 2.7 V6 engine seizing from sludge. Is this a common issue? Is there something that precipitates this or makes it more likely to happen? Is there something that can be done to minimize it from happening or is it inevitable? It was my mothers daily driver driven back and forth to work (15KM), regular maintenance was always followed and the car taken care of and it would be a shame to junk the car.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 AM

There is a great discussion about the 2.7 engine and the water pump issue at dodgeintrepid.net in a general forum for 2nd generation Intrepids. The thread title is info for 2.7 owners.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 PM

My 2002 Sebring had over 100,000 miles on it when it was stolen a couple of years ago. The engine got regular oil changes and did not have a sludge problem. My 2001 convertible Sebring has about 108,000 miles, likewise, no sludge.

I replaced the oil pan gasket on both to cure a little leak. Replaced the coolant outlet manifold on both for the same reason. That's about it.

Neither had a water pump issue. No serious engine problems, knock on wood.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the tip Boman, will check out that discussion.

dcotter0579 thanks for sharing your experience. My stepfather has had three sebrings now and hasnt encountered the sludge problem.
I did do some more digging and it seems to be that the sludge can develop when a bad water pump leaks coolant into the oil? Kind of scary since the car I stand to inherit has a bad water pump that had a seal go bad and leak. Mechanic quoted my stepfather $2000 for a new water pump and timing chain kit install. Not sure if that is high or not but these engines sure seem oddly engineered.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:00 PM

They put the water pump behind the timing chain so replacing the pump requires removal of the chain, and for older models (I think including yours) it requires a whole new timing chain set and re-timing the engine upon replacement. Because the water pump is buried so deep in there, a leak can sometimes wind up in the crankcase. That's not necessarily going to cause the sludge problem but coolant in the oil is bad enough without sludge. You might want to get some more estimates before putting that kind of money into a 13 year-old car. Good luck with it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM

$2000 is a lot. I am going to have the 2.7 in my 99 Concorde rebuilt at a local (Dallas) shop for $2500, which will include both machine shop and mechanic charges. That charge includes the installation of an EngineTech Master Rebuilt Kit. I plan on buying addition parts for the mechanic to install, including new valve lifters, valve guides, valve springs, a main tensioner, thermostat, thermostat gasket, water pump, spark plugs, engine mounts, hoses, belts, and an oil sending unit. But I love my Concorde and want to keep driving it. Before you spend $2000 to replace a timing chain and water pump, you should check out the cost of an engine rebuild. To learn the cost of engine rebuild kits and to see what they include (different kit suppliers will not include all of the same parts), go to RockAuto Parts Catalog, look up your car, click on "engine," then click on "master rebuild kits." One word of caution. You may want to purchase a higher quality water pump than the ones that come in these kits. I have purchased a Mopar water pump for my engine's rebuild.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 AM

We took our 04 Sebring Convert in for a low heat output problem in November, 2012. They found the water pump leaking and also found an oil leak (forget where).
(They ID'ed the water pump leak at the service desk based just on the complaint of cook air being blown by heater. Very common we were told).
Cost was $2000.
Car is in good condition otherwise, made sense to have it repaired.

As I write this, we car is in shop having a new convertible top put on. Next week it's going in to be detailed, interior and exterior. Keep in mind that ALL cars need service. All cars cost money, even new ones.

If you have to lay out $2000 for some repairs, but are getting the car for free, ... consider what kind of car could you buy on the open market for $2000 that you wouldn't need to put some moneny into? If the body is good and good otherwise overall, it makes sense to grab it & put the money into it.

If you do have the water pump replaced, have them look for oil leaks as well. Less expense to have everything done at once while the engine is torn down then to take it back later and duplicate the work.