Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 sebring died while driving/wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Default 2002 sebring died while driving/wont start

I was driving to work today when my car suddenly cut out. There was no shaking or stuttering. It just cut off and I coasted to a stop. After I pulled over I tried to start it again and it made the normal sounds except it would not start. Any idea what may have caused this? Also, I have been leaking coolant for about a month but I check it and fill it if it needs it everytime I drive. Thanks in advance

Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 PM

Engine size????

As of right now, Your answer ranges from out of gas, to engine failure, and everything in between.

Why are you losing coolant?? Maybe related, maybe not, But the more details you can give, the easier this will be. Any warning lamps? Are you in a "Winter condition" area?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Its a 2.4L. I have a little over 1/4 tank of gas in it right now. I have a check engine light that has been on ever since my ex lost my gas cap and we replaced it. And yes I live in northwest ohio and it has been very cold here lately. I am not much of a car guy so forgive me if I leave anything out. Thanks for the quick response

Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 PM

Ok.....First things first....Passenger side of the engine on the front cover is a plastic "PLUG" ...about 1 inch in diameter....Pop it out of the cover..Looking in the hole you will see a Camshaft sprocket.

With the help of an assistant, Crank the engine while looking in the hole...DOES THE SPROCKET TURN????

The reason I asked about The coolant leak.....Your water pump is driven by the timing belt....if the pump were to leak, ....#1, it would spill coolant on the belt, and degrade it to the point where it breaks...or 2....If the water pump bearing were to leak, eventually the bearing would fail, and the pump Pulley would either sieze up, or break off.....Either way, that SPAN in the timing belt is no longer supported, and the belt "FALLS OFF".

Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 AM

To be honest I have no idea why/where it is leaking. A buddy of mine was supposed to be looking into the leak monday to try and take care of it. If the belt did fall off would any noise be associated with it? I was going about 50 when the car cut out. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Me and a buddy went out to take a look at the car like you suggested. We could not find the plastic plug. We did take off the cover on the timing belt so we could look at it. The belt is not tight at all and is wavy in places. The belt looks to be in good condition. Im guessing you were correct about the water pump. What are the odds that if i replace the water pump and have the timing belt put back on properly that I dont have some kind of other damage from the belt falling off?