Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 sebring LX heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Default 2002 sebring LX heater not working

I have a 2002 sebring lx sedan with 4cyl motor.

1. first off the fan only blows on the "4" setting, I have ordered a new fan resistor for it.

2. the heater will not blow warm.
I have flushed the heater core and the water flowed out the other side very well.
I have watched the bend door actuator and it seems to be fine. It moves from cold to hot with no issues and travels to the its stopping point with blend door lever traveling with it.

only thing I can come up with is that the door itself is broken. has anyone ever changed the blend door? seens like it would be a bear!!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Also I have a spare A/C control module from the junk yard and the car operates the exact same with the original or junk yard part. I have also checked coolant level and it is fine.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Try this. Won't hurt, doesn't cost anything.
With engine running, trans in Park, turn the heat control **** all the way to the cold (blue) side. Turn the mode control all the way to the defrost setting. Fan speed on anything but "0". Since "4" is working, go there. Press and hold the rear defrost button until you hear a beep, then let it go. This should put the system in a "calibration" mode. It will go through some gyrations for a minute or so, then give you a readout where the odometer normally is. "A/C 0" is good. If the blend door is out of adjustment, this may cure the problem.
On the 2001 model year, disconnecting the battery for 1 minute or so will initiate the "calibration" sequence.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:00 PM

also whats the method for making sure there is no air in the radiator cooling system. from reading other posts I know not to use the bleeder valve. perhaps thats my issue.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Ok so I did the calibration test and get the code AC 48.
What is that?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Here's some more information about that calibration procedure:

Chrysler Repair: ATC error code 24, climate control unit, atc system

Scroll down past the ATC stuff to the manual temperature control area. It gives a description of the "48" code but it doesn't seem to apply to your problem. One thing the procedure does is the "calibration" which can get the doors properly working if they are not properly "calibrated" to move as directed.
Check to see if yours are now working properly. There's a note there about clearing the code.
The system will bleed itself as it goes through a few warm-up and cool-down cycles. Then you can top off if needed. They obviously can't do that on the assembly line, so they put that bleed screw in there so they can fill and bleed the system in one shot at the plant. With time, the bleed screw sticks to its seat and if you turn an old one, it will spin the seat and result in a leak.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Here's some more information about that calibration procedure:

Chrysler Repair: ATC error code 24, climate control unit, atc system

Scroll down past the ATC stuff to the manual temperature control area. It gives a description of the "48" code but it doesn't seem to apply to your problem. One thing the procedure does is the "calibration" which can get the doors properly working if they are not properly "calibrated" to move as directed.
Check to see if yours are now working properly. There's a note there about clearing the code.
here is all I get: code 48 A/C CONTROL MODE DOOR INPUT SHORTED TO GROUND -
I dont think that is the problem since I can watch the actuator go through all the motions

Old 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Does the blend dooor go through its full range of motion?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Does the blend dooor go through its full range of motion?
I can only guess yes. all i can see is the nipple from the blend door that the actuator turns, it looks to move just as it should.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM

You have good flow through the heater core and from what you can tell, you should be getting air flow over the heater core as well. That's all that is required for heat to get in the car.
The only thing I can think of is maybe there's an obstruction in the coolant line where you didn't test it. If you disconnected the heater hoses right at the firewall, then maybe there's something between the engine and the firewall, or if you disconnected at the coolant outlet manifold, maybe there's an obstruction right there in the manifold.
If that's not it, then I don't know what the answer is short of pulling the whole heater plenum out of the car and taking it apart to see what's wrong, but that's a huge job.

Quick Reply: 2002 sebring LX heater not working