Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring question(s) Drivers side door lock.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Default 2002 Sebring question(s) Drivers side door lock.

Hello all,
Just bought a 2002 sebring LXI in great condition. The previous owner had the timing chain break causing all of the valve damage and opted to sell to the auto garage since they couldn't afford the repair. The mechanic replaced the valves, intake/exhaust gaskets, timing chain, water pump and other stuff. Runs great and so far we like it a lot.
Some isssues/questions:

1) Only had one key with none of the keyless remotes. Is this car equipped with keyless remote? If so what is the most economical way to get one?
2) No owners manual but I just purchased one on ebay.
3) Is it true that the battery is located under the engine and to access you have to remove the L/F tire and inside fender panel? What a pain...

4) Here's the only real existing problem I could use some help on. The drivers side power door lock switch does not work. No sounds at all of relays or switches trying to activate. The passenger side power door lock works fine. Anyone had to deal with this problem that could point me in the right direction?
Many thanks! Jim

Old 11-27-2011, 02:49 PM

1) Stop in at your local Chrysler dealer and speak to the guy at the parts counter. Bring your VIN. He'll be able to tell you all the factory options the car came with when new. I'm pretty sure the remote keyless entry feature was standard on Sebrings. The bad news is that unless you have a working remote, the only way to program new remotes is via a visit to the dealer who will charge a pretty hefty cost. Remotes are sold on eBay but you can't program them yourself unless you already have one working.
2) Read your owners manual for instructions on programming remotes and reaching the battery.
3) True. Theoretically you don't need to remove the wheel and tire but it's easier to get in there if you do.
4) One of two problems, either a bad switch, or a broken wire in the bundle going into the door. Search the forum here for discussions on removing the door trim panel to get to the switch and wires.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Thanks very much for all the info!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Keys - buy a couple extra from Amazon. I took them to Home Depot to be cut. The guy there didn't know what to charge since it was my own key blank, so no charge.
Then have one programmed by the dealer, mine charged $25 but most charge more.
Now with 2 working keys, there is a procedure to program a third yourself.

Remotes - buy a couple from Amazon. Dealer charged me $25 to program one (again, many dealers charge more, sometimes a lot more). With one working remote, there is a procedure to program the second one yourself.

DS power door lock - almost certainly a broken wire in the bundle between door and body. No need to remove door panel. Peel back the rubber cover, strip the ends of the broken wire, crimp butt connector on, replace rubber cover. Might see more than 1 broken wire, check them all.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks Buddy7. I will check out that wire bundle. Hope this is where the prob is......sure beats removing the door panel..

In terms of keyless entry. I checked with a local dealer and here's the response:
Good morning Jim,

Here is the information you requested. The car is equipped with the keyless entry option. We could take care of that for you for $179.40 with tax of 12.65 which comes to a total of $192.05. If we can help you out with this please contact our Service Advisor Bob McFarland at 801-484-8755.

Part number 4602260AD Transmtr..

Sincerely,

Angela Martinez

I've heard this is a 10 minute labor job. Ouch...what a rip.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 AM

I spent a lot of time on the net / Youtube looking for ways to buy and program yourself. Conflicting stories..... Having an existing keyless remote is a no brainer in terms of adding another. Having NO keyless remote is where it gets confusing regarding this being a "do it yourself" project. Has anyone ever managed this at home?
To be honest, I'll go without before being ripped for $200 by the dealer.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM

The dealer's price may include the remote. I would respond to them asking their price for the labor alone if you supply the remote. If it's still too high, make an offer. You've got nothing to lose.
The problem does exist when you don't have a working remote to start with. The only way to do it is to utilize the dealer's $6,000 machine. It's called a DRBIII (for diagnostic readout box) and it's kind of like the code readers that the guy at the parts store can hook up to your car to find out why the check engine light is on, but MUCH more sophisticated.
Some local garages might have one of those boxes, and if the guy knows how to use it well, he might be able to program a remote for you and will probably undercut the dealer's price. Keep in mind though that the box is expensive and the shop has got to try to amortize the cost by spreading the cost over the times it's actually used. They aren't in business to do charity.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks Decotter. That makes sense.

@Buddy7: You are THE MAN! I peeled back the rubber boot and sure enough there was a broken wire. Spliced it together with a crimp connector and the lock works like a charm. I had to add a two inch wire extension since there is no extra wire to play with but no sweat. The rubber boot was a pain to get back on but with the help of a little vasoline, I got it to snap back in place. Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Here's the response from my local Chrysler dealer:

"Good afternoon Jim,

If you have the remote it would be $28.50 for us to program it."

Does anyone recommend a good place to purchase the appropriate keyless entry remote, online?
Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM

I looked up my old receipts and I got my 2 remotes from keylessride.com
I paid $54 for 2 of them.
Edit - I just checked, now they raised the price to $34 each.

For key blanks, I got these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Last edited by buddy7; 11-29-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sebring question(s) Drivers side door lock.