Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring Sedan Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Default 2002 Sebring Sedan Water Leak

Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm new here.

I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan and I have a major water problem. Whenever it rains my drivers side floor from the pedals to the backseat is soaked. I've literally had to bail it out with cups before and have to vacuum out the rest. Obviously this is going to do damage to the car over time, it's been happening for about a year. I've brought it to a glass company and he checked the moonroof and the seal on the windshield and said it wasn't that. I took apart the grate where the windshield wipers are and poured water to make sure those drainage lines weren't clogged and the water flowed out where it was supposed to. I even removed the rubber gasket around the drivers door but didn't see any kind of hole or tear. A friend seems to think it's still the windshield even though I had it checked out. It's not a stock Chrysler windshield, it's a replacement. I just don't know what else to try and I've Googled this problem many times and have come up with nothing. When I vacuumed the water out yesterday I noticed that the bolts where my front seat are attached are starting to rust, I can only imagine what it looks like under my rug. My drivers side power seat doesn't work anymore either. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Opps, sorry for the long paragraph.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM

there should be some type of drains where the moon roof is and those could be clogged up. every car's moonroof will leak and typically there are drains to deal with this.. otherwise I would think it could be a heater core leak and those are never any fun to deal with.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 PM

The moonroof isn't leaking, I already had the drains checked just in case. I believe if it was the heater core it would be leaking on the passenger side, not the drivers side where my water is, and it would keep happening every time it rains.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 PM

Anyone have any other ideas?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM

easiest way to tell if its a heatercore is to keep an eye on your coolant level.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:19 PM

She'd know if it was the heater core. She'd be smelling antifreeze.

Can you get it to leak by spraying water on the car from a hose? If you can get a leak that way, you might at least eliminate some areas by taping plastic securely over certain areas (moonroof, windshield, cowl area) and testing them one by one to see if the plastic will stop the leak. If so, you'll need to then look carefully at the suspect area to determing where it's coming in.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
She'd know if it was the heater core. She'd be smelling antifreeze.

Can you get it to leak by spraying water on the car from a hose? If you can get a leak that way, you might at least eliminate some areas by taping plastic securely over certain areas (moonroof, windshield, cowl area) and testing them one by one to see if the plastic will stop the leak. If so, you'll need to then look carefully at the suspect area to determing where it's coming in.
Good idea thanks!