Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2003 Chrysler New Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 03:22 PM
Default 2003 Chrysler New Door

Hi,

First time on the forum.

I drive a 2003 Sebring LXI sedan and I've been trying to find a new rear passenger to replace the original one due to the rust on the original one getting out of hand. Any advice on where to find a new part or any leads would be appreciated. Also, any tips on handling rust damage would be helpful too. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2022, 03:51 PM

You won't find a "new" door anywhere. Dealers stock or can get parts for cars for 10 years after the model year in question. That can be extended a bit when the cars don't change between model years, so you could have gotten a door for your 2003 up to about 2016 since the 2006 model was pretty much the same as 2003. Your best hope now is to find one at a junkyard or "U-Pull-It" type facility. Junkyard parts are sold on the internet, so you can search there. Also, people part out cars on eBay. They might not advertise the exact part you are looking for but if you can spot somebody selling parts for a 2001-2006 Sebring or Dodge Stratus sedan he will be happy to sell you the door if it's available. You will probably have to install your interior trim from your old car to get a match, and likely have to paint the outside, but matching the paint on the rest of the car after 19 years of exposure will be a real challenge. You might find a door "skin" available. It's a steel panel in the same shape as the old door that fits over the old door and is welded in place. Of course it will have to be painted and trimmed to match after it's welded in place. It might last a few years until the rest of the car falls apart. The problem is that steel bodies are going to rust and the mechanicals are going to wear out and a 19-year-old car is really not worth putting a great deal of money and effort unless it has some sentimental value to you beyond its economic worth. If one door is rusted, most probably there's significant rust elsewhere as well, so you're fighting a losing battle. If that's the only place on the car that is rusted, it could be that there was collision damage there that was not repaired properly. Regardless, after 19 years, you don't have a new car anymore and must expect problems to crop up regularly.

Good luck.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 05-01-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
You won't find a "new" door anywhere. Dealers stock or can get parts for cars for 10 years after the model year in question. That can be extended a bit when the cars don't change between model years, so you could have gotten a door for your 2003 up to about 2016 since the 2006 model was pretty much the same as 2003. Your best hope now is to find one at a junkyard or "U-Pull-It" type facility. Junkyard parts are sold on the internet, so you can search there. Also, people part out cars on eBay. They might not advertise the exact part you are looking for but if you can spot somebody selling parts for a 2001-2006 Sebring or Dodge Stratus sedan he will be happy to sell you the door if it's available. You will probably have to install your interior trim from your old car to get a match, and likely have to paint the outside, but matching the paint on the rest of the car after 19 years of exposure will be a real challenge. You might find a door "skin" available. It's a steel panel in the same shape as the old door that fits over the old door and is welded in place. Of course it will have to be painted and trimmed to match after it's welded in place. It might last a few years until the rest of the car falls apart. The problem is that steel bodies are going to rust and the mechanicals are going to wear out and a 19-year-old car is really not worth putting a great deal of money and effort unless it has some sentimental value to you beyond its economic worth. If one door is rusted, most probably there's significant rust elsewhere as well, so you're fighting a losing battle. If that's thee only place on the car that is rusted, it could be that there was collision damage there that was not repaired properly. Regardless, after 19 years, you don't have a new car anymore and must expect problems to crop up regularly.

Good luck.
I suppose I should've said "new to me" . Thanks for the advice, I've started looking for a newer car, but I just like my Sebring. I'll look around a bit more and see what can be done.

Thanks again