Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Sebring Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Default 2004 Sebring Convertable

Hey all, New to the forum and I need a little help.

I have an 04 Sebring Convertable, It has an intermitten TICK. I will do it mostly after it warms up,but then at idle and after reving. If I rev it up the ticking will quit untill it settles back to idle. Its like a timing chain tensioner loses pressure to keep the chain tight. Then is no sludge in the motor, Its clean. Some days it dont tick and then it will start. I put in some seafoam just past sunday and drove it around, I am gonna drive it around more and then change the oil, put back in SYN oil. Anything common on these to cause this. BTW there is no coolant in the oil eather.

I posted this on the Sebring Convertable site but it dont get much action

Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Unhappy 2000 sebring conv.

Ihave no "spark" I have had this car two years one day it started acting like it was running out of gas ? So i took it to discount and they said the #6 was not working .I took it had spark plugs and wires it will not start ,they put new crank sensor in it .New battery and even tried buy computer it turns over like the starter is working but still no spark ,the harmonik balancer had starting wobling a couple weeks before it was replaced .they said the fuses are good and the auto shutdown relay and starter relay is good.PS the week it shut down the light and door locks went on and off by them selfs going down the road while driving idk any body have a idea you get fuel the fuel pump sound like it comes on when u turn the key on the lights work their are no code on the speedometer.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM

saulsorrels..please start a new thread for yours so we can keep issues separated.

Jeff. a couple issues to look for. The primary tensioner CAN and often does fail on a 2.7L. Doesn't matter about sludge they just do. Also the tracks on the guides can work loose and slide down. Both of these conditions can cause slack in the timing chain.

My advice to you is STOP running it.... immediately!. Get it towed in and get it inspected. If you have to pay them to pull the timing cover and the valve covers so they can see everything it's worth it. Way cheaper than an engine. Keep us updated.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Well I think its fixed, I changed the oil that apperently was thin as oil and that was cold with out engine running. I put in SYN 10/30 and ALL the other little ticks are gone as well, the engine smooth and running even better than it did.

All this after some IDIOT tightened the oil drain plug so tight, I stripped off the head of it and had to put vise grips on it. I fought with that thing for about an hour, got my big grips and clampped them so tight I had to rest a minute (lol) before I could try and loosen it. I prayed and said please let this (explicit words) break free. and then it broke free. I wanted to take the stripped plug over to the place I got this car and shove it, well lets leave it at that. Anyway runs great now, now we are off to trade it for an 05 sebring sedan, turns out the wife didnt like a convertible as much as she thought she would. After trading my old Harley for it. HMMMMM

Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 PM

I hope you put a new drain plug in there. They are readily available at auto parts stores. Proper oil for this engine is 5w30, it says so in the manual and right on the filler cap, if I remember rightly.

Women have this thing about convertibles. They buy them and put the top down once until they see what happens to their hair, and never put it down again. You can always tell if a convertible belonged to a woman. No wrinkles in the top.