Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2004 Sebring engine stalls on freeway - 3 times this week!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Default 2004 Sebring engine stalls on freeway - 3 times this week!!

Please help - starting last week while driving on freeway my 2004 Sebring Limited V6 2.7L, paused/hiccuped a couple of times and then the engine stalled completely. I waited a few minutes and it started up again.

The local shop was sure it was the crankshaft sensor and/or cam sensor so they replaced both, tested it on the freeway, and it stalled again. Next day, with diagnostic equipment in car, for a quick moment they say a computer relay code, so replaced that part, tested it on freeway, and again engine stalled. They say (with the exception of the computer relay code), that it's not throwing any other codes.

It's been a good car, they say they've checked everything else - wires, compression, etc, please what are your thoughts?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 AM

sounds like that you have a computer problem with something getting hot and shutting down.......had that very thing happen with a oldsmobile. replaced the cpu and all was well.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:12 PM

When it does not work do you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the car?
Could be fuel pump, low on gas, bad gas, etc...

When it does not work do you have spark on any of the spark plugs?
If none then that points to computer , cam and/or crank sensor.

Older relays can be affected by heat, so you might try swapping relays involved with the ignition system to rule that out.

There might be other sensors that the computer uses to disable ignition, but don't recall them now; maybe other will chime in.

You said they checked compression, which I would believe is okay if it is an intermittent problem anyway.

How is the battery and cable wires? I have heard of corroded battery wires causing problems as they got heated up.

Check voltage when not working to verify not alternator or battery issue.

I would suspect computer last.

dlm4ut

Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 PM

Years ago, My dad's Dodge developed a situation where it would conk out on the freeway but had no trouble driving at lower speeds. After a little time it would restart and run fine at low speeds. Turned out to be a clogged fuel filter that could pass enough fuel for normal driving but couldn't keep the car running at freeway speeds.
Your Sebring is now over 10 years old and if you picked up a bad load of gas somewhere you could have a clogged fuel filter.
It wouldn't throw a code; fuel problems usually don't.
The problem is that changing the fuel filter involves dropping the fuel tank, so it's a fairly big job and not an easy D.I.Y. fix.