Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2005 Chrysler Sebring Sedan Oil Light Comes On at/below 1000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Default 2005 Chrysler Sebring Sedan Oil Light Comes On at/below 1000 RPM

I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring Sedan, 2.7 liter. I bought it three years ago and for one entire year it worked as well as any well-maintained car. I get the oil changed every 3000 miles. Two years ago, when I would drive the car for long periods meaning all day spent running errands and such, the oil light would flicker on when I was at idle, stopped at lights, drive-thru windows and such.

Six months ago it got to the point that when this happened, the oil light would come on and the engine would start to stutter, putting it in neutral worked sometimes but not always. Also, when I turned the car off to, say, get gas, I would have to wait upwards of fifteen minutes before being able to start it again. For the last two years I have sunk $600 into trying to fix this issue. I cannot remember everything that was 'fixed' or tired. This weekend, I decided to have another go at trying to fix it, as it had been sitting for six months. Had to replace the battery because it was dead and wouldn't take a charge, even when pulled out of the car to be attached to the charger without having to go through the grounding wires and such.

Car runs perfectly other than, after having driven the car on the freeway as a test, the oil light now comes on when the car is running at or below 1000 RPM. Also, do not have the issue of having to wait to turn the car on again. I have a replacement Engine Oil Pressure Sensor, but have no idea where it is located on my car and am wondering if you very knowledgeable people out there know if that is the issue, or whether I'm sinking more money in the wrong item.

Thank you very much for your time!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM

I had the same thing going on, replaced the sensor, oil pump and finally replaced the main crankshaft bearings and that fixed it.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Try replacing the switch first. It's located on the back side of the engine, accessible from below. There's a heat shield held on by three bolts covering it.

This is a known problem. Go over to the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club website. There's a "how to" over there complete with pictures.

If that doesn't do it, then maybe you really do have low oil pressure. That's a serious problem with more than one possible cause, none of which are cheap and easy fixes.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Default Thank you!

Thank you dcotter0579 I appreciate your help, I'll head there now!

Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Default Engin oil leak, not always pressure switch.

Originally Posted by Briarly
I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring Sedan, 2.7 liter. I bought it three years ago and for one entire year it worked as well as any well-maintained car. I get the oil changed every 3000 miles. Two years ago, when I would drive the car for long periods meaning all day spent running errands and such, the oil light would flicker on when I was at idle, stopped at lights, drive-thru windows and such.

Six months ago it got to the point that when this happened, the oil light would come on and the engine would start to stutter, putting it in neutral worked sometimes but not always. Also, when I turned the car off to, say, get gas, I would have to wait upwards of fifteen minutes before being able to start it again. For the last two years I have sunk $600 into trying to fix this issue. I cannot remember everything that was 'fixed' or tired. This weekend, I decided to have another go at trying to fix it, as it had been sitting for six months. Had to replace the battery because it was dead and wouldn't take a charge, even when pulled out of the car to be attached to the charger without having to go through the grounding wires and such.

Car runs perfectly other than, after having driven the car on the freeway as a test, the oil light now comes on when the car is running at or below 1000 RPM. Also, do not have the issue of having to wait to turn the car on again. I have a replacement Engine Oil Pressure Sensor, but have no idea where it is located on my car and am wondering if you very knowledgeable people out there know if that is the issue, or whether I'm sinking more money in the wrong item.

Thank you very much for your time!
i was also leas to beleive the engine oil leak was due to sump gasket or oil pressure switch, then one mechanic said it is mainly due to over filling oil and it leaks when sump level is exceeded on park on slop. Try to measure the correct input oil next time. Some cans of oil have 4 litrs, sone 4.5, snd some 5 litres. I did this and my problem disappeared.