Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2006 sebring Battery drain have to start engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 AM
Question 2006 sebring Battery drain....I have to start engine

If I open the door and close ...the dome and interior lights don't turn off immediately but if I start the engine..turn off and than close the door ...than the lights will turn off immediately.

can anyone explain what could be reason for battery drain?

Last edited by curiousv; 12-18-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Did you just notice this happening or are you guessing for a reason for a battery drain?
Dome and interior lights are on a timer of up to a couple of minutes. Starting the car set in motion a different timer program, by thinking car is occupied and "ready to roll".
Are you having a dead battery issue?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by REBEL59
Did you just notice this happening or are you guessing for a reason for a battery drain?
Dome and interior lights are on a timer of up to a couple of minutes. Starting the car set in motion a different timer program, by thinking car is occupied and "ready to roll".
Yes ...battery is getting drained/dead ...i.e. I cant start the car until I jump start it. I guess first I should check for parasitic battery drain with volt meter.
What else I should do or check?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:32 PM

I have not had this car for a long time...I just noticed this problem that car wont start if its sitting for a week..

Thanks..I did check for parasitic draw and I could not find any major problem...with door closed and everything off its only 40 mAmp draw ...if I open the door its about 150 mAmp and if I hook phone charger in to cigarette lighter port ...its 50 mAmp..which I believe its normal...so can I can I think something wrong with battery that it does not hold the charge?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:46 PM

If a battery gets low enough it may not hold a charge and even the smallest amp draw will kill it. Try charging it with the battery cable disconnected. If the voltage goes down the next day then it's the battery.

John

Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by jopizz
If a battery gets low enough it may not hold a charge and even the smallest amp draw will kill it. Try charging it with the battery cable disconnected. If the voltage goes down the next day then it's the battery.

John
so u mean I should jump start with negative cable disconnected?

is there any way I can check the battery without removing it ..u know in sebring .I have to remove wheel and dust cover first before I can even reach to battery...thanks..

Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 PM

I hate to be the "spoil sport", but it is time to pull the battery out and have it load tested after a proper recharging with a battery charger. DO NOT JUMP START WITH NEG CABLE UNHOOKED. Also if more than 5 years old, the battery is on it's last legs anyway. Can you narrow down where in the world you are located a little for geographic weather knowledge?

Last edited by REBEL59; 12-18-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM

Just jump starting isn't going to charge the battery. You either have to drive the car for an extended period or put a battery charger on it for a few hours. If you don't have a battery charger drive the car until the battery is charged. It should read over 13 volts when you first shut it off. Disconnect the black negative cable. The cables are extended into the engine compartment so you don't have to mess with the battery. Check the voltage the next day. If it reads below 12.4 volts most likely the battery is shot. A fully charged battery should read over 12.5 volts.

John

Old 12-18-2017, 03:14 PM

I hate to be the "spoil sport", but it is time to pull the battery out and have it load tested after a proper recharging with a battery charger. DO NOT JUMP START WITH NEG CABLE UNHOOKED. Also if more than 5 years old, the battery is on it's last legs anyway. Can you narrow down where in the world you are located a little for geographic weather knowledge?
I am in Tacoma WA...you said pull battery for load testing but is there any way to load test without pulling it out?

Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jopizz
Just jump starting isn't going to charge the battery. You either have to drive the car for an extended period or put a battery charger on it for a few hours. If you don't have a battery charger drive the car until the battery is charged. It should read over 13 volts when you first shut it off. Disconnect the black negative cable. The cables are extended into the engine compartment so you don't have to mess with the battery. Check the voltage the next day. If it reads below 12.4 volts most likely the battery is shot. A fully charged battery should read over 12.5 volts.

John
Is there any way to load test without pulling it out?

Quick Reply: 2006 sebring Battery drain have to start engine