Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2006 Sebring - Brake Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Default 2006 Sebring - Brake Vibrations

I've had this car for about 5 years now, and I really haven't had one issues out of it at all. Lately I'm starting to get pretty bad vibrations when I brake, and it's only getting worse. About 6 months ago I replaced the rotors, and put brand new brakes ( Duralast Gold Cmax pads ). I've been told possibly the rotors are being warped because of the calipers, or possibly lug nuts being tightened incorrectly. Just wanted some feedback, and see if anyone else has came across this issue.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Can't say that it has happened on your car but improper tightening of lug nuts can have bad effects. The lug nuts should be tightened in a star pattern, in stages, to 100 ft-lbs. The usual ape at the tire store wants to jam them with his super powered impact wrench as quickly as he can. Wham-bam thank you ma'am and out the door. That leaves you with a stretched stud, cracked wheel, bent rotor and a set of nuts you'll never be able to get undone when you get a flat at 11:00 at night in the rain somewhere.
Rotors can also get out of shape from parking the car for long periods so that part of the rotor gets rusted while the part under the pads does not. Warpage can also happen from getting the rotors really hot due to some high speed braking.
Anyway, there are several possible causes. The result is the same, vibration. You might be able to have yours machined flat, if they are not worn too thin. Replacing them might not be much more expensive, and possibly cheaper.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Can't say that it has happened on your car but improper tightening of lug nuts can have bad effects. The lug nuts should be tightened in a star pattern, in stages, to 100 ft-lbs. The usual ape at the tire store wants to jam them with his super powered impact wrench as quickly as he can. Wham-bam thank you ma'am and out the door. That leaves you with a stretched stud, cracked wheel, bent rotor and a set of nuts you'll never be able to get undone when you get a flat at 11:00 at night in the rain somewhere.
Rotors can also get out of shape from parking the car for long periods so that part of the rotor gets rusted while the part under the pads does not. Warpage can also happen from getting the rotors really hot due to some high speed braking.
Anyway, there are several possible causes. The result is the same, vibration. You might be able to have yours machined flat, if they are not worn too thin. Replacing them might not be much more expensive, and possibly cheaper.
Warpage can also happen from getting the rotors really hot due to some high speed braking.
^ That's most likely the cause, I guess I'll have to look into more durable rotors.