Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2009 Sebring MIL

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Default 2009 Sebring MIL

Two days ago my Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) came on. No issues that I was aware of and everything seems to be operating normally.

Light stayed on when driving to and from work yesterday so today I took it to the Chrysler dealer and asked them to check it out. I might have left it longer at another time but I am lending my car to a friend for a longish trip next week.

Anyway, the dealer stated the lamp was not on when they tested it and there were no codes in the system. When I picked it up this afternoon, MIL was not on.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Yes and No..... Whether you notice or not is of No consequence to PCM...SOmething is wrong if the light came on.......

A computer is designed to retain Memory, And since there were no codes available,

Either you are Crazy, and It was never really there, .......Or The computer Forgot what happened that turned the light on.

I wouldnt lose too much sleep over it, until it becomes a recurring problem.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks Djinn-n-Tonic. I may be crazy but I promise you it definitely was on!

I'll wait to see if it recurs - of course it goes without saying that I am only 350 miles short of the warranty mileage!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Federal Emissions warranty covers PCM until 8yr/80k....

Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM

OK, thanks. That makes me feel better.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 PM

It could have been something as simple as a loose gas cap.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM

It could have been something as simple as a loose gas cap.
True.....But There should still have been SOMETHING stored in History, and a Freeze frame screen.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
True.....But There should still have been SOMETHING stored in History, and a Freeze frame screen.
That's what I thought too. Is there any reason why there wouldn't be something stored in history?

Could the MIL itself be faulty?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 PM

So, my friend has returned from his trip in my Sebring and he said at some point the MIL came on but it's off again now (of course).

Anyway, oil was changed when I took it in on July 20 and now the Change Oil message is displaying. It has done, nearly 2900 miles since the oil change but it's only been 13 days!

Does the oil really degrade this quickly?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM

The change oil message takes into account not only the miles but the type of use the car has been through. Lots of high temperature stop-and-go driving or other severe service will call for an oil change sooner. Pull out the dipstick and take a look at the oil. If it's dark and dirty looking, it might be time for a change. Another possibility is that they just failed to reset the cycle last time it was changed.

Quick Reply: 2009 Sebring MIL