Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

96 sebring no spark PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Default 96 sebring no spark PLEASE READ

i have read a TON of stuff online trying to diagnose my car. here are some things that i was experiencing.

car died while idling. got code 11 doing the turn key diagnostic mode. after cooling down the car started fine. replaced the tps because i was getting a code for that at autozone. drove fine and then died on the side of the road again. let it cool off and it started back up and was driving rough. on the way back down the street where it died close to home it cut back off and i coasted to the driveway.. now it wont start at all period. getting gas, spark plugs soaked and can smell the fuel. not getting spark at all. i read into the 11 code and it said most likely the crank sensor or the camshaft position sensor. i realize the cam sensor is in the distributor and someone said you could replace it. i went to autozone and bought the crank sensor and put it in and nothing. took it back because it was 70$ and then went to the junkyard. got the distributor and 2 crank sensors just to check. took apart the distributor and found the sensor that has a magnet in it and took it out carefully and put it in the one in the car without taking the distributor out of the car and put in one of the other crank sensors. now no starting still..also swapped out the three relays on driver side because supposedly the middle one has something to do with security. locked and unlocked the doors several times to see if that would do anything..nothing. please help me.. i am getting very frustrated.. the car ran perfect before it died....also before it died i took out the preexisting crank sensor and cleaned it and put it back in..i didnt know it needed a gap and was scraping what ever is inside the bell housing and it finally stopped and that was right before it died completely. is there any way i messed up something inside the housing? i put the junk yard sensor in and you could feel the magnet grab and stick to whatever is inside so idk. also im guessing i should replace the whole distributor since maybe the coils may be bad but im thinking it may be something else..also after taking the battery out several times the 11 code disappeared but still no spark but definitely getting fuel..please help...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
I would almost say its a tranny issue stalling it out
this is interesting... a big problem with the car when i bought it was when it was put into reverse the car would want to stall out. and when the car died for the last time i was idling and when i took my foot off the break and accelerated it stalled and wouldnt start back up. supposedly the transmission was leaking from one of the seals when i bought it. do you think the fluid level is too low not allowing the car to start?? idk if thats possible. also what would be something to check with the transmission not allowing the car to start?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

the trans level has nothing to do with starting the car

b4 u started replacing crap did u diog the car ?? do u have spark or fuel?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM

yes there was fuel which i could smell and could see on spark plugs and can hear the fuel pump. there is no spark. took out spark plugs and nothing when grounded....i read up on the asd relay and maybe the plug coming from the car is needing to be cleaned because i put the one in from the junk yard..and i know that when doing things from the junk yard its hard to tell if they are good or not but i spent very little money on everything in a last ditch effort to get my car starting. i am very frustrated and discouraged and ready to sell the car i just bought for 600$...if you could provide me some help/tips within your expert advice i would appreciate it. i have worked on cars for many years and have good mechanical knowledge so i am no dummy when it comes to this stuff. i need to get my volt meter from my dad to test some resistance and ensure some true problems or not. i am guessing that possibly since i replaced the crank sensor with a new one from the store and also another one from the junk yard it must be something with the distributor or something else? i figured that maybe with replacing the sensor(im guessing the hall sensor) under the rotor would have helped or something but still nothing. could the coils be bad in the distributor? and would that make the car immediately/randomly turn off?????

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

replace the distributor with a new one not a junk yard one