Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97' Sebring JX 2.5 L V6 Starting Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Default 97' Sebring JX 2.5 L V6 Starting Quandry

Hello, my name is Seth. I purchased my 1997 Chrysler Sebring last summer from a dealer. It had body damage from several fender benders and has been in two accidents since I've purchased the vehicle; once in the rear right and another from running underneath a truck due to brake failure. Until this summer, or a couple of months ago, the car had no starting problems. Here are some other problems the vehicle has had. + It had stalled before from me being heavy on the gas shortly after starting the vehicle while the vehicle was in gear. + The transmission slips periodically and a few times the transmission would not engage when I put it in reverse from a parked position. + I also noted that when the transmission would not engage the speedometer would behave erratically even when not pressing on the gas. + For some reason the coolant reservoir does not relieve into the cooling system. In order to make sure my car does not overheat I have to put coolant directly into the system. I'm aware that these other problems are probably not related, but I mentioned them anyway in the event that one of them is. Moving on the current, and most pressing issue. The most common time for the car to have a starting problem is when it's not hot outside. I've determined there is a possibility there is no correlation between the temperature or exposure to heat from the sun, but the problems occur most often when it is dark outside, or it is not very hot. Today it was fairly warm, and the sun definitely kept my car warm. Symptoms - + When trying to turn over the vehicle in the past few months it seems to hesitate on occasion. My first thought was the battery was bad. I have not had it tested so I can't confirm. + When the vehicle doesn't start it cranks slowly 2-3 times and stops which sounds like a dead/dying battery problem. + For the first time, which is today, eventually after making several attempts to start the car it would not crank over at all. I could hear the relay click. I was in a busy parking lot and heard nothing else. + I attempted to jump start the car today, but there was no change, and the car would not crank, only the relay would click. + previously, if I attempted to start the car 5-10 minutes later it would start the first time, often without hesitation or cranking issues. I know the starting system on the Sebring is more complex than most and some repairs can be cheap, however most are very expensive. The vehicle has messed up front end and shakes a little while driving at highway speeds and has extensive body damage. Cooling system repairs on Sebrings are also usually expensive. I've been told by a few mechanics that I should avoid repairs if problems get serious on a Sebring this age with an undetermined amount of mileage (dashboard is from a junk yard supposedly, and as I understand it will not accurately reflect actual mileage of the vehicle because mileage data is stored on the dashboard, so I'm told). Keeping all the problems my car has in mind I have to consider the possibility that it may not be worth repairing, however if the symptoms I've described sound like a specific problem and I can have it diagnosed starting with what I know of the symptoms then I may be able to have it fixed. Thank you, -Seth

Old 09-12-2010, 05:02 PM

Unfortunately All the spaces I put in didn't take, so now my post looks clustered and I apologize if it is hard to read and put together. I will try to re-post it in this thread.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM

• Hello, my name is Seth.

• I purchased my 1997 Chrysler Sebring last summer from a dealer. It had body damage from several fender benders and has been in two accidents since I've purchased the vehicle; once in the rear right and another from running underneath a truck due to brake failure.

• Until this summer, or a couple of months ago, the car had no starting problems.

• Here are some other problems the vehicle has had.

• + It had stalled before from me being heavy on the gas shortly after starting the vehicle while the vehicle was in gear.

• + The transmission slips periodically and a few times the transmission would not engage when I put it in reverse from a parked position.

• + I also noted that when the transmission would not engage the speedometer would behave erratically even when not pressing on the gas.

• + For some reason the coolant reservoir does not relieve into the cooling system. In order to make sure my car does not overheat I have to put coolant directly into the system.

• I'm aware that these other problems are probably not related, but I mentioned them anyway in the event that one of them is.

• Moving on the current, and most pressing issue. The most common time for the car to have a starting problem is when it's not hot outside. I've determined there is a possibility there is no correlation between the temperature or exposure to heat from the sun, but the problems occur most often when it is dark outside, or it is not very hot. Today it was fairly warm, and the sun definitely kept my car warm.

• Symptoms -

• + When trying to turn over the vehicle in the past few months it seems to hesitate on occasion. My first thought was the battery was bad. I have not had it tested so I can't confirm.

• + When the vehicle doesn't start it cranks slowly 2-3 times and stops which sounds like a dead/dying battery problem.

• + For the first time, which is today, eventually after making several attempts to start the car it would not crank over at all. I could hear the relay click. I was in a busy parking lot and heard nothing else.

• + I attempted to jump start the car today, but there was no change, and the car would not crank, only the relay would click.

• + previously, if I attempted to start the car 5-10 minutes later it would start the first time, often without hesitation or cranking issues.

• I know the starting system on the Sebring is more complex than most and some repairs can be cheap, however most are very expensive. The vehicle has messed up front end and shakes a little while driving at highway speeds and has extensive body damage. Cooling system repairs on Sebrings are also usually expensive.

• I've been told by a few mechanics that I should avoid repairs if problems get serious on a Sebring this age with an undetermined amount of mileage (dashboard is from a junk yard supposedly, and as I understand it will not accurately reflect actual mileage of the vehicle because mileage data is stored on the dashboard, so I'm told).

• Keeping all the problems my car has in mind I have to consider the possibility that it may not be worth repairing, however if the symptoms I've described sound like a specific problem and I can have it diagnosed starting with what I know of the symptoms then I may be able to have it fixed.

• Thank you,

• -Seth

Old 09-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Ok, I'm sorry for all the bullets and all the posts. I can't figure out if "edit post" is blocked or if I'm just unable to find it. In any case, I hope the second post is easier to read and comprehend, as well as allow those that can help piece together the symptoms and such.

Thank you again.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Your car has several problems, not one with an easy fix. If you are mechanically inclined, you may want to start fixing it up yourself, but that will involve some careful testing and diagnosis to determine exactly what the problems are so you don't simply throw money and parts at the car without knowing if it will help.

HOWEVER, you should carefully consider your options before you start this project. It's very unlikely that the car is worth the effort to repair it properly. There is no point in throwing thousands of dollars at this car only to get it running well enough to be worth $1500 after all the investment.

Consider the value of the car, your own mechanical skills and tools, whether you want to spend the time money and effort, whether you can have the car out of service in the meantime, etc., etc., etc.

You might be much better off junking it now and seeking a replacement, or making some minimal repairs such as replacing the battery and just driving the car until it dies and then getting another vehicle. The car is almost 14 years old and has seen a fair amount of abuse so it's getting to the point where it is ready for the scrap yard.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 AM

If you want to keep the car I would first do a transmission fluid change using ATF+4 fluid only. You should get a new battery, low batteries can cause all types of problems. You need to clean the water neck where the radiator cap goes, it likely has build up crud on it. There is a common issue with sebring gauges going wacky. You can resolder the circuit board or replace the gauges. The mileage shown is actual. The miles are stored in the body control module. The vibration is usually caused by tire balance, but can also be a front axle issue.

Your car can be repaired cheaply if you are willing to do the work yourself. Check out the local junkyards, you may be able to find cheap parts including body parts. If you don't want to do your own work yourself be prepared to pay more than your car is worth.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM

I know for a fact one of the control arms on the front are damaged (previous damage). I had to do extensive work on the back end to get the car drivable (my first accident in the vehicle).

The mileage is around 70,000 then, if the mileage shown is actual. For a car with such low miles, it sure has a lot of problems.

The battery powers everything else in the car normally, windows, lights, etc...

When I attempted to start the Sebring yesterday evening the relay clicked, the fuel pump came on, but it did not turn over.

As previously stated, trying to jump the Sebring with another running vehicle had no affect, even after several minutes.

The transmission problem is a rare occurrence.

My main concern is this. My Sebring is stuck in the parking lot at my retail job. It can not stay there, and I can't afford to have it towed at the moment.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 AM

I was told my radiator cap itself may be bad. I'm assuming if the cap isn't sealed perfectly then the coolant system cannot draw from the reservoir?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM

You may have a starter issue, You may need to get a new one. Also check fuse #8. I think that is the one that powers the starter. A good way to test the starter is to crank it with the headlights on, if the headlights go completely out when you crank, you likely need a starter. It wouldn't hurt to change the radiator cap. I've never seen the radiator overflow reservior wore properly on any car. I have two sebrings a 96 and a 00 and it doesn't work right on either car. Add the antifreeze directly to the filler neck, but make sure you get all the air out of the system. You may need to add more after driving it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by indysebring
You may have a starter issue, You may need to get a new one. Also check fuse #8. I think that is the one that powers the starter. A good way to test the starter is to crank it with the headlights on, if the headlights go completely out when you crank, you likely need a starter. It wouldn't hurt to change the radiator cap. I've never seen the radiator overflow reservior wore properly on any car. I have two sebrings a 96 and a 00 and it doesn't work right on either car. Add the antifreeze directly to the filler neck, but make sure you get all the air out of the system. You may need to add more after driving it.
Could a fuse cause an intermittent problem?

I will try testing the starter doing what you said, however it no longer cranks.

Quick Reply: 97' Sebring JX 2.5 L V6 Starting Quandry