Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97 sebring tanny issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Default 97 sebring tanny issues

I have a 97 sebring conv. with 157000 miles on it, I am actually having two problems right now.

First:
When it is really cold outside (32 degrees or lower) I start the sebring up but when I put it in gear, sometimes it engages other times it doesn't. I have even had it go into reverse, back out of my driveway, but when I put it in drive it doesn't do anything, then I am stuck in the middle of the street with nothing (no reverse or drive). Sometimes it corrects itself in about 15 -20 secs, other times it is 1-2 minutes. The transmission fluid is full and clear. MY question is would changing the trans. fluid and filter fix this problem or is there something else I should check? The transmission shifts fine when it does engage, no clunks or hard shifts. By the way, this is an automatic.

Next:
I am having a starting problem, much like others on this forum. I replaced the starter with a new one about a week ago (starter tested bad at auto parts store), car started fine for a week, then one day it did the same thing, all dash lights come on but there is nothing when you turn the key. I checked the fuses under the hood and the ignition fuse (20 amp) was blown. Replaced fuse started fine but 2 days later, I go out and same thing, nothing. Lights on dash come on but when you turn the key there is nothing, no clicks or any sounds but all dash lights and radio come on strong. After trying to start the car about 6 or seven times it started up like nothing was wrong. Could the cold weather we have had here in the midwest have anything to do with it and is there something else I should be looking at. If it is the weather, how do you prevent it?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

Old 12-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: 97 sebring tanny issues

Sure. Flush the transmisison fluid and throw a new filter. Can't hurt, and you're probably due @ 157k. Make sure it's powerflushed, and all the fluid from the torque converter is empy.

Try some addatives. Go to autozone/napa/pepboys/whatever. Look for one that is made for cold. Also, try using a heavier weight ATF if that's possible for you.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

ATF+4 has all the stuff required to make the tranny do what see needed change the chemical properties in that fulid and it will cause issues.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:41 PM
moe

the seals in the trans are hardening due to the temp change.thats why its fine once it heats up.if the service with new filer and atf 4 doesn't work your going to need overhaul.moe

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 PM

Moe, they may alsowant to ck the o-ring( seal ) for the low reverse accumulator to. If the seal rolls out of the cover you will lose 1st and reverse gears too. But I would ck the trans for leaks around the front pump area. If the fluid is low it will also cause the same problem as well. On the 2nd problem, The starter is drawing to much amps causing the fuse to blow. I am guessing you have a 2.4 liter motor.