Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

97 sebring v6 wont start

Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Default 97 sebring v6 wont start

at first the car began locking up whenever i was stopped. the lights would flash across the dashboard and then the car wouldn't move when i pressed the gas and the stering would lock. it was like the car had lost all power. i would have to place the car in park and then restart the car. Now the car won't start at all. any ideas what could be causing these problems

Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 AM

There are probably 60,000 parts in a car and hundreds of them are involved in starting it, beginning with the battery. "Now the car won't start at all." That doesn't begin to describe the problem. Does it crank but not start? Does it not even crank? Does it make any sounds at all when you turn the key, like a click? How old is the battery? How many miles are on the car? Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key? Has anyone done any service on the car recently? The more information you can supply the better the guesses (that's what they will be) from this end.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Please forgive me. this is the first time i have posted in a forum. it was determined that the starter had gone bad so that was replaced and the car is starting up again. however, the original problem is still happening. when i come to a complete stop the car will tremble/shake, the lights will flash on and then off on the dashboard. the car is still running/on but the steering wheel locks up and when i press the gas pedal nothing happens. i have to put the car in park, turn the ignition off and then restart the car. this problem happens randomly. it can go days without happening or it can happen several times a day. prior to the start of this problem, the only recent service was a routine oil change, new oil filter and fuel injection cleaning. the car has $115,652 miles. please let me know if i need to give any more information. guesses are very welcome.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 AM

correction...when the car stops, the car does not continue to run. it is like it looses all power. the radio remains on and air continues to blow from the a/c but the steering wheel locks and i have to put the car in park and then restart the car.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 PM

From what you are describing, the engine stalls when you come to a stop. The steering wheel is not "locked", but since the engine has stalled, the power steering is not working (the power steering runs off the engine) and the steering wheel is hard to turn. The flashing lights on the dash are things like the oil pressure and alternator which come on when the engine stalls.
There may be codes stored in the engine computer. Try turning the key from OFF to ON to off to ON and once more OFF and ON within five seconds. Don't start the engine, just to ON. You may get some error codes appearing where the odometer usually reads. If so, write those down and come back here with them.
You may not get any codes.
There are many possible causes for the engine stalling. You will eventually need to have a professional get in there and find out what is causing the stalling problem.