Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

98 Sebring 2.5 Died and won't start. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Default 98 Sebring 2.5 Died and won't start. HELP!

This morning I entered my car, started it and let it warm up for 4 minutes.

AS SOON AS I pressed the brake/shifted car into drive it died. I had ignition, and the car would turn over after words but wouldn't fire at all.

I have a code scanner, but didn't scan it yet because the check engine light was not on.

This issue has never occured, however my ignition has stuck before and I had to use a rubber mallet/ WD40 to free and lube the assembly.

I feel it is something electrical and or todo with the ignition.

Any help would be great!

-Dan

Old 04-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Got home and got to tinkering.

The motor has spark.
All fuses are good

I think its the fuel pump, and it's an easy fix(if that's it).

I've never been able to hear the fuel pump run but when I turn the key over, I hear a clicking sound. The same sound that I've always heard when turing the key over. Who knows, I hope its the fuel pump and I can call it a day.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM

If yours is a coupe, the fuel pump is relatively easy to get to via an access panel under the rear seat. If a sedan or convertible, you'll need to drop the tank.
But before you start throwing expensive parts at the car, test the fuel pressure to verify the problem.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Update

What an odd experience

When checking for we used a new plug and it had spark. however all used plugs in the car had no spark. Odd that they all went bad at the same time.

After all new plugs the car still won't start. I now know that spark isn't the issue and I have multiple problems.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM

anyone?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Any codes? The most common problem with that engine is the distributor, which contains the camshaft position sensor. It seems that when the distributor and cam sensor needs replacing, the crank sensor does too. The coil is also built into the distributor as I recall. Any of these could kill the spark. Bad ignition wires might also prevent old plugs from firing. A distributor is an expensive item and you shouldn't replace yours until you can verify that it's the source of your problem.
You need to run some diagnostics. Start with codes (not all codes set the check engine light.) Check fuel pressure. Check timing belt.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Any codes? The most common problem with that engine is the distributor, which contains the camshaft position sensor. It seems that when the distributor and cam sensor needs replacing, the crank sensor does too. The coil is also built into the distributor as I recall. Any of these could kill the spark. Bad ignition wires might also prevent old plugs from firing. A distributor is an expensive item and you shouldn't replace yours until you can verify that it's the source of your problem.
You need to run some diagnostics. Start with codes (not all codes set the check engine light.) Check fuel pressure. Check timing belt.
The car has spark. There is no way spot to check the fuel pressure on the engine. Our clifton repair manual said there is a spot to check, but we were unable to find it. Even though it has spark we cannot get it to fire when spraying starter fluid into the intake. Were kinda at a loss of what to do next. The car's check engine light isn't on so no codes can be checked.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM

You need an adapter to tap into the fuel line and check the pressure.
Check for codes. Not all codes set the check engine light.
You need spark and fuel to start the engine. Since you are so sure you have spark, the a problem with the fuel system is likely the cause. There are lots of possibilities. Inadequate pressure is one possibility. Fuel injectors not operating might be another.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM

OK WTF

We pulled a plug to check spark one last time, while checking compression w/ a compression tester, and rigged a fuel pressure gauge from fuel hose that connects to the fuel rail. Kill 3 birds with one stone deal.....

Turned car over and guess what? It started on 5 cylinders.

45+ pounds of fuel pressure, great compression (obviously), and great spark.

Now it runs but I don't trust it anywhere far from home.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM

Fine job. Don't trust it far from home? Look, it's a 13 year old car. It's going to be letting you down from time to time.

Quick Reply: 98 Sebring 2.5 Died and won't start. HELP!