Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

99 sebring 2.5 missing when hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Default 99 sebring 2.5 missing when hot

Hello, I just bought a 99 sebring with a 2.5. the car runs awesome when you 1st start driving it and thin when it warms up it will start missing and sometimes will die when stopped in gear, but when driving it runs fine. only when I stop.. it seems like if i keep it above 2000 there is no miss. there is a check engine light and it was a multiple cylinder misfire. (I'll find the code number tomorrow)
the previous said he changed
plugs
wires
cap, rotor
I did a search and didn't find my answer
any help would be awesome

Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM

the code I'm getting is PO300, random misfire

Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM

Might be a vacuum leak.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Since you just bought the car, start with the basics. Take a look at the spark plugs and replace if they are worn or damaged. Check the distributor cap, replace the rotor and spark plug wires. Check all of the vacuum hoses for any signs of wear or damage and replace as necessary. Probably a good idea to replace the EGR valve and air filter too. None of these items are expensive and you may well solve the problem. Not really related, but I would clean and inspect the battery connections since your under the hood anyway (the battery is located in front of the left front wheel and can be accessed through the wheel well). If it's still missing then you may have to visit a repair shop to have the problem diagnosed.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 AM

ok, I have done a tune up. new plugs, wires, cap rotor, egr cleaned the air filter new upper manifold gasket. also checked again for air leaks and it is still missing and wanting to stall (but only every once in a wile) sone times it runs awesome and there other times it runs very poorly. the only code i get is P0300.
any other Ideas.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM

today I just picked my son up from the bus stop and the car it seems to be getting worse. I almost didn't make it home. it was acting like it was running out of gas and wanting to die and back firing in the intake, so when i got it home I took off the air filter tube and gave it some gas (as it is sputtering) I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and it did not change a bit. (so now I know it is not a fuel problem) the only 2 things I can think of now is the coil or the crank sensor.
how do I test them to see if there bad?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 PM

Chapter 5 of the Haynes manual for your car has a good discussion of how to check the coil which is built into the distributor. Chapter 6 discusses the crank sensor along with a lot of other things. The book will set you back about $25 and could save you many times that.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM

well I changed the crank sensor today, and it's doing the same thing runs awesome for 30 min to a hour thin it starts missing at 1st thin it starts bogging and back firing in the intake. but if you let off the gas it will idle ok . now it's just when you give it gas
I have a friend that has a book. so I'll test the coil tomorrow
thanks

Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Chapter 5 of the Haynes manual for your car has a good discussion of how to check the coil which is built into the distributor. Chapter 6 discusses the crank sensor along with a lot of other things. The book will set you back about $25 and could save you many times that.
Bad news, my friend cant find his book and no parts store has one in stock. is there a online book?
I would really like to get this car going

Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM

Check this out:

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...uct/1563926547

You can buy subscriptions for a week or a month or a year of access to a manual if you search on line, but you'll pay more for a month of on-line access than you will for the hard copy, which you can take out to the garage with you and have handy.

Quick Reply: 99 sebring 2.5 missing when hot