Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Agonizing slow refuelling

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Default Agonizing slow refuelling

1997 Sebring convertible SJI just purchased.
Refueling takes forever, previous owner has a funnel in the trunk.
Also serv eng soon light constantly on. I have been told they had the code read and it was fuel, filler cap or something that couldn't be re-set.
Related?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Something is wrong with the hose from the filler inlet to the tank. It's obviously not supposed to be like that, If you are not comfortable looking for the problem yourself, then have it professionally serviced.

Nobody here can tell you why your check engine light is on. The computer has a fault code stored in it and has therefore turned the light on. There are hundreds of possible fault codes that will cause the computer to turn the light on.

The only way to know what is going on in there is to have the code(s) read using a proper code reader. The best ones are at the dealership but many parts stores and all independent garages will have code readers.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Something is wrong with the hose from the filler inlet to the tank. It's obviously not supposed to be like that, If you are not comfortable looking for the problem yourself, then have it professionally serviced.
Thanks for confirming, we figured. I wonder whats involved in repairing that.

Ref below; see post #1, the code has been read, thank you.

Nobody here can tell you why your check engine light is on. The computer has a fault code stored in it and has therefore turned the light on. There are hundreds of possible fault codes that will cause the computer to turn the light on.
The only way to know what is going on in there is to have the code(s) read using a proper code reader. The best ones are at the dealership but many parts stores and all independent garages will have code readers.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:07 PM

As for the slow fill, it depends on what the problem is. It may involve removing the tank and replacing or straightening the fill hose. It may be something else.

As for the code, you said "it was fuel, filler cap or something that couldn't be re-set". Codes are numbers, like P XXXX (where the X's are numbers). If you expect a comment on the cause of the code you're going to have to be specific.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM

Thank you. I will let you know what I find. I am wondering if it is a vent. Will be looking for a drawing of the fuel system.
I will let you know what the exact code was and its interpretation, this was 3rd hand info.

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
As for the slow fill, it depends on what the problem is. It may involve removing the tank and replacing or straightening the fill hose. It may be something else.

As for the code, you said "it was fuel, filler cap or something that couldn't be re-set". Codes are numbers, like P XXXX (where the X's are numbers). If you expect a comment on the cause of the code you're going to have to be specific.