Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

blower motor resisters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Default blower motor resisters

hello again, I am on my third resister in a year and a half. They last a couple of days and then stop working. I think its probably a bad ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated . I am sick of roasting (on high) or freezing thanks Scott.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Default RE: blower motor resisters

I doubt it's a bad ground. Bad grounds result in too little current. If your problem is burning out resistors, the problem is too much current. Maybe your blower motor is bad?

The resistors you get from the dealer are fatter than the originals. Have you opened up the hole or do you just jam the fat ones in? If you are jamming them in, you may be damaging them in the process.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:21 PM

The motor seems to work fine on all four speeds until it stops working on 1,2, and 3 so I don't know if that could be the problem. As for "jamming" them in there that is not the case. I have had both resisters the mopar and the federal mogel . both have done this to me thanks for helping Scott.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 PM

The motor will work correctly for a while with a new resistor. But the higher than planned voltage of a worn blower motor will eventually cause the resistor to fail. You've put two new resistors in with no real change, time to look into replacing the motor.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM

I haD 2 Chrysler cars with several resistor packs that blowing.

I TOOK THE COVER OFF THE RESISTOR PACK AND SOLDERED A SMALL LIKE 16/18GAGE STRANDED WIRE ACROSS THE Varistor and both cars have been doing greatabout 2 years now. ( fyi there AREthree resistors of varying ranges for LOW MED & FAST. Hi speed is full battery voltage that is why it works on full speed only when it fails) the one different looking part in THE RESITOR PACKis a Varistor. I did this to a new part on both cars,That was 2 years ago. fyi,It SMELLS A LITTE BIT for A while WHEN THE RESISTORS GET HOT BUT THAT IS NORMAL. I WAS WORRIED AND I FIGURED THERE IS A FUSE iN THE CIRCUIT AND IT SHOULD BLOW LONG BEFORETHERE IS A PROBLEM AND I HAVE 2 CARS THAT ARE STILL GOING STRONG.

By THE WAY MAKE SURE IT'S IN THE PROPER PLACE SO IT GETS COOL ARI BLOWING ACROSS IT WHEN THE FAN IS ON. Do NOT LEAVE IT HANGING OUT IN THE AIR IT WILL NOT COOL PROPERLY.

MORE DETAIL IF YOU wannna READ ON

It started with one car. So I replaced REISTOR PACK & it blew (got one from Chrysler same problem with one to Two weeks it blew. THEY EACH GAVE ME A NEW ONE UNDER WARRANTY .SO I CHECKED amp draw on the problem car compared it with the other identical car and amp draw was with 1 amp on high ( close enough for me) HOWEVER in the processes I blew the fuse, Replaced fuse but decided to swap resistor to problem vehicle, IT FAILED quickly. then all replacement kept failing in both cars I TRIED TO GET ONE FROM A bone YARD no luck They ARE ALL GONE IN THE YARD.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

I got this same problem, and on my 3rd resistor. I had a hard time thinking it was the motor because the motor worked great with the new resistor. I have been buying them at Auto Zone, maybe its because its aftermarket. I just want to know what is the single and best fix for this.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

if u haft to replace the resistor often the motor is drawing to many amps and taking out the resistor