Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

a/c, heater blower (fan?), chrome rims erosion 2001 Sebring Limited Conv

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Default a/c, heater blower (fan?), chrome rims erosion 2001 Sebring Limited Conv

HELP! I have a 2001 Sebring w/only 49,000 miles and keep in mint cond. since I purchased new in 2001.
I have been going thru tires (i buy the same ones Michelin that came on the car originally)...now to find out
2 sets later, a mechanic said its because the Chrome wheels/rims i pad an addional $$$$ for are rusting/eroding and are causing my tires to wear ....i only had the org warrenty...3yrs 36,000 miles...what
can i do, besides sand then down inside or something like that????
Also my blower fan for my air would only work on highest setting (4)...they said there is a "new" gaget they need to put in.....now it won't work on any setting and I'm w/out heat in this 30 degree weather!!
I'd appreciate any feed back...thanks Joany

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Default RE: a/c, heater blower (fan?), chrome rims erosion 2001 Sebring Limited Conv

never heard of rusting rims will cause the tires wear out unless its at the bead an you are loosing air cant help you
on the blower fan

Old 11-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Default RE: a/c, heater blower (fan?), chrome rims erosion 2001 Sebring Limited Conv

sorry i did not welcome you to the forum as a new member enjoy the forum

Old 11-18-2008, 08:59 PM

Hey Mozart, welcome to the site! What "new" gadget are they talking about? Kinda a generic term isn't it? As for the wheels, The corrosion from the wheels can cause leaking and premature deterioration of the rubber, but dam it takes a long time for them to be garbage! They should have cleaned off/smoothed the corrosion for you when they put the tires on, (as a good will thing)it will help with the seal, I'm guessing there is probably a brush on sealer they could put on too. I do know there are primers for metals other than steel. Since your wheels are starting to corrode, it would be a good idear to keep them waxed. It will slow down the corrosion rate.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 PM

If corrosion is causing your wheels to leak and lose air, you have to be very vigilant to maintain the proper air pressure, otherwise the tires will wear out rapidly from being underinflated. If you keep your tires properly inflated, they will last much longer. Believe it or not, I've gotten over 100,000 miles ontwo of my Sebring tires. I lost one to a giant pot hole, and another to a curb.

The problem with your heaterwas aburned out blowerresistor. Unfortunately, the ones they make now to replace the old ones are physically a little fatter than the originals. If the genius who put in the new one decided to 'make it fit' by either cutting it or bending the protrusions, or just forcing it in he probably ruined the new one. The thing that has to be done is to slightly enlarge the hole that the old one came out of so the new one will fit. Take the car back and tell them to fix it right. You paid for a proper repair and you are entitled to it.
Now you know what that 'gadget' is called use the proper terms and they will take you seriously. If you go in there and play dumb they will try to take you for all you are worth.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Default Leaking Rim

I have the same problem. I use BEAD SEALER that you can buy at any good auto pats store. This stuf is black and ends up on everything if you aren't careful. It will give you some relief for a while. Either you or you service station has to break the tire down, clean the sealing surface , brush the sealer on generously then reset the tire to pressure. I have one so bad it didn't last 2 weeks last time. Don't bother with the spray version. It ain't thick enough. Good luck. I hate to think I have to buy new rims just yet.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM

I have a 2001 sedan and had the same problems - rim leaks with the chrome wheels- yes you can basically glue the tire to the rim but it eventually leaked any way - just bought a set of aftermarket rims - not chrome -Chrysler cars are well know for rim leaks.
I also had the same problem with the fan having to be set on 4 to work - I believe they replaced a relay switch - I would have to check my paperwork to be sure. They didn't say it was something "new" but since it was replaced, it works just fine.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

A little common sense here guys...

Yes eroded rims will leak air....Known fact....But if you wait till the tires are low, Driving on them will destroy them. It only takes a 3 or 4 pound drop to distort a sidewall to the point of "EDGEWEAR" on the treads.

The blower resistor is not necessarily a "NEW" item. just a "Production change"....

NEVER MODIFY THE RESISTOR TO MAKE IT FIT.......A razor blade ever so slightly to the heater box is the proper procedure.....Just enough to clear the epoxy on the resistor and NO MORE.