Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Question A/C help

I have a 96 sebring. the ac was working when i bought the car but just not that cold. i bought a recharge kit without a gauge on it and filled it up. used my dads gauge after the compressor kept kicking on and off and realized i put way too much freon in the system. on the low pressure side i let out a lot of the freon out by just pushing the shrader valve until the compressor stayed on and it seemed fine. Now when i have the ac on the car operates like normal and the air is cold but the problem is when the car is idoling the air doesnt really get cold at all but if i put my hand on the low pressure side i can feel it getting colder and colder when i rev up the engine and after a drive the ac is cold but not as cold as it should be and there is condensation on the low pressure side which i know is normal....i dont understand why it only gets cold when the compressor is going faster hence the idoling speed not compressing as much...im not an expert on ac systems so any comments are appreciated. ive read that people have to evacuate moisture out of the high pressure side when you release freon and i definitely didnt do that i just pushed in the shrader valve and let the freon out so idk, maybe something i didnt do right or possibly too much freon or not enough?? thanks for reading

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 PM

also i believe the fan is working but im not 100% sure if it is or not, im guessing that could also not allow the ac to stay cold because the radiator/ac systems are getting hot at idol....but it doesnt really get cold when i first start up the car at idol so i dont think it has anything to do with the fan. im thinking i didnt go through the right steps in releasing the freon..like i said not too sure. and i would like some good advice other than take it to a shop to have them to look at it......

Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 PM

There's no real way to determine if you've got the correct amount of refrigerant in there other than removing all of it by evacuating the system and then adding back the correct amount. That's how it's done. The system needs the correct amount of refrigerant, not more or less to operate efficiently. Many years ago they used to put in a "sight glass" in the system that you could look through while charging, and when the bubbles were gone, you had the correct amount of freon. But they don't do that any more.
When you evacuate a system, you also pull out the moisture, so the system will operate better.
If you don't want to spend the money get it fixed right, then either spend the time to learn the basics of A/C system operation and mainenance and invest in some tools or live with it as it is. There's no way anybody here can diagnose your system and teach you how to fix it in a few sentences posted on a board like this.
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that after all your machinations, your system is now again a little low on refrigerant. Try adding a half can of refrigerant and see if it improves the performance at idle. You may have a partially plugged expansion valve or a failing compressor or some other internal problem that a serious A/C technician with proper equipment could find and fix, but since you're not interested in going that route, that's the best I can offer.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that after all your machinations, your system is now again a little low on refrigerant
Dcotter is Correct.....You let too much out.....

Once again......As Ive said before....Far be it for me to discourage anyone from doing their own work....Thats why we all come here....But A/C is Not a learning experience...and While a Buck is a Buck as long as it is in YOUR POCKET....You cant put a Price tag on BLIND AND FROSTBITTEN.....

I know Theyve been around for years...But HOME CHARGING KITS are VERY DANGEROUS.... I wont single anyone out....But this is the perfect example.....

You overcharged it.....Ok ..No biggie, mistakes happen......But what if the compressor ""SAFETY BLOW OFF" had released, while you were leaning over the car??????????????? I personally....God willing, would like to SEE my daughters get married, and My grandchildren smile, as opposed to spending 100 or so bucks to let a pro handle it.