Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

A/C repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Default A/C repairs

I bought a used 2008 Chrysler Sebring and the air conditioner stop blowing cold 2 weeks later. Brought it back to the dealer (Toyota), they couldn't find the leak and put dye in it and recharged it and for me to come back when it goes low again. Brought it back 2 weeks later and was finally told that the Evaporator core needs to be replaced. The dealer quoted a price of $1500 to replace. My question is: is this about a normal price or am I getting a price to high? I have to pay for half so I'm thinking they maybe making the price is high to make up their cost.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM

The evaporator core is located deep within the plenum which is a large chamber under the dashboard. To replace it, the whole dashboard needs to be removed. It involves a lot of labor.
It's not real likely that this leak suddenly happened the moment you drove the car off the lot. Chances are it has been around for a while and the dealer re-charged th system shortly before selling you the car. This would suggest that they had an opportunity to determine the existence of the leak or actually knew of the leak when they sold you the car. If the car semed like a real bargain at the time, then that may have been the reason.

Since this problem does not affect the ability to drive the car, you can take it elsewhere easily for a second opinion/estimate. If you don't have confidence in the dealership, you can take it somewhere else where they specialize in that sort of problem and get their estimate. Then you can make up your mind as to which make the best financial sense for you.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Does anyone know where is the heater blend actuator is located ? Thanks.