Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Code P0301

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Default Code P0301

My 2004 2.4L Sebring LX Sedan with 65,000 miles has been misfiring for almost a week. The "On-Off-On-Off-On" ignition trick revealed a P0301 diagnostic code on my digital odometer. Since I replaced all spark plugs and ignition wires less than 20,000 miles ago, is a Cylinder 1 misfire the likely cause for her sputtering? Should I check the plug for fouling? Dumb question: Where is Cylinder 1 ... far left as I peer under the hood, right? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Cylinder 1 is closest to the "front" of the engine. Realize that the "front" of the engine is where the accessory drives are, the "back" of the engine is where the power comes out to the transmission. Think back to the days of having an engine mounted longitudinally in a car with the fan in front and the transmission bolted to the back of the engine.
So in your car, cylinder 1 is closest to the passenger side (right side of the car).
Yes, you should check the plug for fouling. Could also be a dirty injector.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks, DC! You are always so helpful! The spark plug boot was covered in a brownish orange dust. I cleaned it inside and out with compressed air. The spark plug (E3 Premium #E3.66) looked fine. Guess what? Misfire has disappeared and the MIL is no longer illuminated. Maybe the boot wasn't making proper contact with the plug? Glad I waited for your reply before visiting my mechanic! Thanks again!!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 PM

You should put a little dielectric grease on the inside of the boot to seal out moisture and prevent the boot from adhering to the plug. They often sell little packages of the stuff right next to the cash register at auto parts stores. Should set you back about a buck.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 AM

How should I apply the grease inside the boot, DC? Just smear a coating inside ... or should I dab a small gob on the spark plug head? Is the "On-Off-On-Off-On" ignition trick an accurate way to obtain OBD codes? Would it be a smart idea to buy one of those cheap ($60.00) scanners? Thanks again for being our Chrysler "guardian angel", DC!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM

Smear a little on the inside of the boot. A little dab'll do ya.
A code scanner can be a worthwhile investment even if you don't intend to do the repair work yourself. Most shops will charge you half the cost of a scanner to hook your car up to their scanner to get a reading.
If you go in there armed with some foreknowledge of the problem, you are going to be able to discuss the possible repair more intelligently and are less likely to be "taken for a ride".
An OBD II scanner can get codes from most cars built since 1996. The key dance works only on some Chrysler models, to my understanding.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Default P0340

When I started my beloved 2004 SEBRING LX this morning, the MIL was illuminated (it was off when I parked her last night). Once I was on the street, she bucked like an ornery bronco as I attempted to accelerate. After a few minutes of jerking and hesitating at about 10 MPH, she suddenly started to drive normally. I was quickly cruising at 60 MPH with no problems.

I stopped and performed the "key dance" to obtain the OBDII codes. The P0301 appeared again along with a new one: P0340.

I continued driving and after about 30 minutes, the MIL turned off. Sebring still runs normally ... no bucking, no jerking and no hesitating.

My question is, are the P0301 AND P0340 codes combining to create an intermittent problem? Or do I have 2 separate issues? Since the MIL is no longer glowing, should I ignore the matter until it flares up again? Or should I visit my mechanic first thing Monday morning?

Thanks for your help, DC and friends!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

This is almost certainly a different issue, but it's not inconceivable that they are related.

I would check the wiring and connections to the camshaft position sensor. Clean the connector. If it looks good and the car continues to run smoothly, then the code will probably go away after a few days. If the problem comes back, consider replacing the camshaft position sensor. On that engine, it seems that replacing the crank position sensor at the same time is a worthwhile investment.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks, DC. I replaced my own plugs and wires - can a clumsy DIYer like me also replace the camshaft and crank position sensors? I also found TSB 18-024-04 through Chilton and the symptoms are identical to what I'm experiencing. I even get a "bump" after closing throttle at highway speed. Could that TSB be causing my P0301 and P0340 problems? Lastly, I have been running E3 Premium #E3.66 plugs for around 25,000 miles (over 2 years). There are many complaints about this style fouling and misfiring just a few thousand miles after installation. Do you think I should yank 'em and stick in a set of Champion Double Platinums (or whatever you would recommend)? Thank you again for being my Sebring GUARDIAN ANGEL, DC!

P.S. My VIN begins with 1C3EL46X54N266 ... could you please confirm that I have the 2.4L "X" engine?

Last edited by OGHBEICA8; 02-18-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Here's a discussion about the TSB and spark plugs over on a PT-Cruiser forum (same engine as yours) that might shed some light on your problem. If you can change spark plugs you can change those sensors, but you might want to pursue the other route first.

Quick Reply: Code P0301