Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Convertible top leaking!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Default Convertible top leaking!!!!

Ok now I have a problem.
I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring jxi
Today it rained and when I got into my car, I knoticed that the roof leaks (just dripping though) right where the roof separates with the windsheild. This happens on both the driver's side and the passenger's side. It will sometimes run down the driver's window or drip into the driver's seat. On the passenger's side, the leak is alot slower but leaks from the exact same spot.
I am thinking that I can somehow tighten the clamps that attach the roof to the windsheild.
If possible, please provide instructions on how to fix the problem!!

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Default RE: Convertible top leaking!!!!

If you'll look on the side of the body the j bolt screws into you'll find a set screw that faces the front of the car when the clamp is engaged. Loosen this set screw and turn the j bolt in or out depending on what you need. This only effects the downward pull on the top and may not be the final solution to your problem but they will get loose over time so its a good starting point.

Don't forget to snug the set screw back up to keep the j bolt from turning when it's not clamped.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 PM

ok well I did that and it fits more snugly now but it still leaks. The passenger side doesn't leak.
I put the j hooks as far in as they would go.
I knoticed when I was doing some leak tests that the fabric on the roof is overlapping on the passenger's side but not on the drivers side, exposing the weather stripping.
I am going to take it to an upholsterer and see if he will fix it.
Any other suggestions???

Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM

The other main point is to examine the points where the windows touch the weatherstripping under the top frame. Many times the window hardware will come out of alignment because of fasteners that have worked loose. The glass should just touch the rubber and there are no gaps between the front and rear glass. Any of these may need to be accessed by removing the appropriate interior panels.

There are some adjustments in the top frame itself but they usually don't go out of adjustment.