Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

dash cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Default RE: dash cluster

Tachometer circuit testing: 1. remove cluster. 2 check for battery voltage at cavity J if instrument cluster gray connector. 3. with the ignition in the on postion, check for battery voltage at cavity K on the instrument cluster gray connector. 4. check cavity F of the instrument cluster red connector for continuity to ground. 5. check for tachometer signal form the powertrain control module by connecting an AC DIGITAL VOLTMETER to cavity H of the instrument cluster gray connector and ground. A reading of a least 1.o volts should be present with the engine running. a. If voltage is within specifications, go to step 7. b. If voltage is not within specifications, preform steps 5 & 6. 6. If there is less than 1.0 volts at cavity H check for continuity between cavity H of the instrument cluster and pin 43 of the powertrain control module connector. Aslo, check the connector at the powertrain control module for damaged pins or terminal push outs.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 PM

continuation of tachometer circuit tesing.

7. If voltage is less than 1.0 volts at cavity H and there is continuity between cavity H of the instrument cluster and pin 43 of the powertrain control module connector, replace the powertrain control module. 8. If all tests performed test good, replace the tachometer drive module. 9. If the tachometer continues to be inoperative, replace the tachometer assembly.

This is taken from 1994 service manual Lebaron, Spirit, Acclaim, Shadow, Sundance. Sorry, don't have your service manual they are $80.00 because the manual is 1700 pages and I only buy them when I have to.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 PM

WOW! That is alot of info.I do not have the tools to fix it myself.I think I`m going to have to find someone to fix it for me. I truly am greatful for the info you provided me. Thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 PM

I have another question, I`ve noticed that a 1996,97,98 stratus and cirrus have the same cluster as the sebring. Are this interchangeable? Thx

Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM

I'm not sure. Juckyards will know. They have cross references. I assume you are going to replace the whole cluster. On top of the cluster is a tachometer drive module. Tachometer drive module replacement: 1. Remove cluster assembly. 2. Pull tachometer drive module from printer circuit board. 3. For installation reverse above procedures and use care when aligning module to printed circuit board. But you are right, just replace the whole thing.

At least after you replace it, you will know it's not the cluster. Then it will be back to the sensors such as PCM, drive speed, and probably other things I have not looked up. Just for info, my 1977 Dodge Truck tach has two wires, welcome to the modern age.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:31 PM

Thanks again, I will indeed call a few salvage yards,and if they are interchangeable it will be alot cheaper and alot less of using my brain to try to fix it myself. Again I thank you.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:03 AM

Hey JXI101, In Florida yet? Let me know. Thx

Old 11-19-2005, 02:09 AM

Hey JXI101, In Florida yet? Let me know. Thx

Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 PM

not in FL until March, change in plans, I was going to be down for Thxgiving, but we have to be out of our house in a week so our realtor can sell it. The cirrus and other plymouths are interchangeable. it's the same exact car. If you have any questions pulling it out, just let me know, I can send pics or something. I also reccomend getting the Chiltons or Haynes manual for it. You may need it to get everything back in.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:22 AM

Thanks for getting back to me.Hope all goes well with your deal.I called a couple of salvage yards to find out if the cirrus and stratus are interchangeable I was told no.The only dash cluster that would work is from a 96 or 97 sebring conv WO/autostick.I`ve seen the clusters from the sratus and the cirrus, and they look the same as the sebring.Trying to get more info on those clusters before I decide weather to buy one or try to fix mine. Thx

Quick Reply: dash cluster