Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Driver side lock doesn't work + other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Default Driver side lock doesn't work + other questions

I just got a 2004 Sebring sedan a few days ago and have been going over it.

1. The driver door lock switch does nothing. Also, the passenger side lock switch locks/unlocks all doors except the driver door.

I took the driver door panel off, there are just 3 wires coming from the switch.
(Pink, White/Green, Black)

I suppose the next step would be to take the passenger door panel off and swap the lock switches. If I do that and find that the switch is good, what do I do next?

2. The battery location in the wheel well - The plastic cover looks like it has been chewed up a little by the wheel - is it supposed to be so close to the wheel?

3. Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable to take up the slack? I know how to improvise, but is there a factory adjustment?

4. Only 1 license plate bulb? That's plain dumb. With 2 bulbs we can check periodically and replace 1 that's out, but with only 1, if it goes out we can be stopped and given a ticket. Is there any modification, maybe a bulb holder from another model, which gives us 2 bulbs?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:20 PM

I think the door lock/unlock problem may be the actuator, not the switch. If it worked from the passenger switch, I would say it may be the master or the wiring to the master. However, since it will not function from either, I am going to say it is the door lock actuator. It should be a plunger type piece that the lock rod goes into. The lock rod should come straight down from the button and into the plunger/actuator. I hope this helps.

Sorry Buddy, I can't help you with the other 2 ?'s you asked.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 PM

Well if it's the actuator, and only that, then that wouldn't explain why the other locks also to not respond to the switch.

I switched the driver and passenger switches and no change. The driver switch works fine as a passenger side switch. The passenger switch does nothing when connected to the driver side. So, the problem is not the switch.

I found a web page which tells where the wires should have continuity, so tomorrow I will test that.

I got a pair of license plate lights at a Upullit, I think off a newer Kia, and installed them in place of the single Sebring one, so now I have dual license plate light bulbs.

I modded the throttle cable to get rid of the slack. At the pedal end, a 3/4" length of small rubber tube, split lengthwise, with a couple zipties around it.

Last edited by buddy7; 08-06-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Sorry Buddy, I misread your post. I thought it read all locks worked EXCEPT drivers door from both switches.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

As far as the battery cover is concerned, it's a close fit but it should not be rubbing on the tire. The previous owner of my convertible installed a new battery, and when he did, he left the socket of his wrench on the bolt holding the battery. That resulted in the cover being lifted toward the wheel by about a half inch, which in turn, resulted in the tire rubbing a hole in the cover. Check to see if the cover is properly installed, with all the fasteners and nothing pushing it out. Make sure you have the correct size tires on the car. You can probably find a replacement battery cover in a junkyard for not much money. Don't get one off a convertible as it's a slightly different configuration.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Today I checked for 12v at the pink wire on the connector to the switch and it was dead. Checked after the pink wire entered the car and it was 12v. So, break in the wire, probably where the wire bundle goes between door and body.

Peeled back the rubber cover and there were actually 3 broken wires, 2 of the ones to the switch, and one other. Repaired them with butt connectors. Now, the switch works fine to lock/unlock the other 3 locks, but the driver door lock is still dead. So, Ribguy, you might still be right. Tomorrow I'll remove the actuator and apply 12v to test it.

RE: the battery cover, it's a very tight fit, when the wheel turns to the right, just a hair away. The lower 6" of it was "eroded" away from this action. The local upullit only has 1 gen2 Sebring, missing the cover, so I'll have to wait until they get another one, or take a 150 mile r/t to another one.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

I forgot to ask, how do I edit my own posts? I don't get an "edit" icon anywhere.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM

I think you have to have a certain number of posts and then an "edit" button will show up immediately to the left of the "quote" button in the lower right corner of your post.

As for the battery cover, I have found them on eBay by watching for a guy parting out a car and asking for that part, which nobody would otherwise bother advertising. The Dodge Stratus sedan part might fit also.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 07-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Well ribguy, the actuator was bad. It's built into the latch itself. I got one at a upullit for $10 and all works fine now.

For the battery cover panel, I'm not on ebay (was several years ago but got fed up with it) but thanks for the cross match info, I'll keep my eye peeled for craigslist partouts or upullits.