Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

EDR Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Default EDR Black Box

Any experts here regarding that nice little box?

Ouragency currently investigating a 2008 Convertible involved in what we believ to be two separate accidents. I have not been able to find much information about the EDR in this particular car and what it's capabilities are

Have called several Chrysler dealers and most mechanics don't know what the EDR is let alone it's capabilities.

I think the car was involved in a "Slight" sideswipe accident (Passenger side, crease from front fender to rear quarter about 1/2" deep) then a serious front end collision[/align]
The question we are trying to answer is: What does the EDR record, how long is the data retained, would the EDR record any information that did not deploy air bags

Thanks for any help[/align]

Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: EDR Black Box

There is no EDR U have an ORC and a OCM there is no other computer in the air bag system. Plus any date recording can not be used in a court of law.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:22 PM

I could be incorrect, but I believe EDR's were mandated for 08 vehicles

Many States allow use of EDR data, it is a question of WHO the data belongs to that is being debated and how it may be obtained, and since this is a rental vehicle owned by our client, this is not an issue

we are not interested in legal evidence, but trying to find if an electronic path may have a different trail then that left by the operator

Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have already been to the JS 08 electrical update class this year about 2 months ago and I did not hear anything about this EDR module.
I know the OCM computer has had the ablity to get the last bit of info 30 seconds b4 it was deployed been like that for awhile.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Thanks again for the reply. that is the information I was looking for Can that computer detect an incident such as a small "sideswipe" and if so, does it "hard write it" like some incidents or simply store it dynamically for 10-30 seconds and over write?

I know GM will record a ton of events. especially in Cadillac etc with the amount of sensors, but they overwrite about every 3 seconds unless involved in a "Deployable" incident and then they store info for past 10 seconds such as throttle sensor, wheel spin, braking, seat belt use, steering action, yaw (Depending on sensors equipped) and other useful info

Some EDR's will record "Significant" incidents that DO NOT deploy air bags then erase them after 250 start cycles, so it vareis greatly as of now and I am trying to pin down what this particular vehicle is capable of

I much appreciate any help as literally many dealers are not even aware of this EDR as it really has no use to Technicians repairing vehicles, only Insurance Institute and Highway Safety