Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

evap system fail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Default evap system fail?

hi guys !
i have a 2003 sebring, sedan, 2.4 engine, with 114 k miles on it.
Recently i changed the spark plugs on the car and the air filter.
For a few days i have a new problem with the car.
the engine idle position fluctuates, the engine almost stops but then it gives more power to stay on.
Also, in traffic, when i break to a stop, the engine stalls.
the thing is that when i pull from the maf arrea the cable that comes from the purge valve\evap valve, the engine runs great and the idle freezes.
i thought that the problem was the evap valve but the new one didn't solve the problem.
i saw that the engine needs a lot of air from the evap valve, but the hose that comes from the reservoir is dead, it doesn't blow any air.
i quess that this is the reason why the engine stalls, it doesn't have enough air from the evap system.
is it possible? what could be the problem for which the engine just dies on me?
Thanks !

Old 04-05-2014, 11:55 AM

"i quess that this is the reason why the engine stalls, it doesn't have enough air from the evap system.
is it possible?"
Not likely. The purpose of the evap system is not to supply air to the engine. Its purpose is to trap and gradually feed to the engine gasoline vapors that evaporate from the fuel in the tank.
If your engine is starved for air, look to the IAC (idle air control) motor.
Before you do anything though, see if there are any fault codes in the computer. If you don't have a code reader, try the "key dance" (on-off-on-off-on) or go to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to read the codes.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:39 PM

hi and thanks for the answer.
i have only one error, and that has to do something about the oxygen sensor from the catalytic converter of the car.
the car doesn't show any other errors.
what can i do with the iac motor, how can i check if everything is in order with it/
thanks

Old 04-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here is how you approach this kinda issue.
First was it like this before u did the tune up?
If it was not then you yourself did something like knock off a vac line hose or something of that nature go back and look at everything you messed with and see whats out of place.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:08 PM

hi !
the car didnt have a stedy idle even before i changed the spark plugs and the air filter.
so i think that the car just went from not ok to worst, just my bad luck i quess...
i dont think it had something to do with the new parts.
without any error, how can i check the IAC motor? can it be reprogrammed or something to give it a new start?
i have to mention the fact that the old spark plugs were dirty with petrol and oil i think. maybe thats a clew.
thanks again guys !

Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Let's check the PCV valve. Then check the throttle body and clean it if necessary. See what that does. It won't cost an arm and a leg and might help.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Did u gap the plugs are they correct are they champion or NGK? Or did u use bosh?
Is there any vac lines that u tool of when doing the filter?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 AM

hi again
yes, i ve put the plugs myself.
they are NGK spark plugs
about the picture i attached:
the triangle represents the screw that i took off in order to replace the air filter, also the plug from the top part of the triangle went off.
the square represents the hose wich if i take off, the engine starts to suck a lot of air through there and starts to run smooth and with a perfect idle.
is the X from the picture the throttle body? can i clean the throttle body from the top, if i take off the hose coming from the air filter?
i think the spark plugs are ok, the wires also, they were checked by a friend wich is a mecanic in free time. that was yesterday.
he just told me to take the squared hose from the image off and thats it.
i dont think thats a good long term option, only short term maybe, just to get to work and back.
can i clean the throttle body with paint thinner?
thanks.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM

x - thottle body?
square - hose that if i take off, the engine runs great and smooth
triangle - unscrewed when i replaced the air filter, along with the sensor from the top of the triangle

Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Followthe directions on the can. Use a toothbrush.

Quick Reply: evap system fail?