Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Extend the Life of a 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Default Extend the Life of a 2.7

Take out the Thermostat. You will never be short of heat on a 2.7.

No Thermostat to stick closed and boil the Water out of the Jacket in no Time Flat

Thanks to the *** Backwards location of the thermostat...... any failure to open is a guaranteed disaster............unlike normal applications where the thermostat is at the High End of the System.

No Charge How am I doing so Far?? Comments welcome.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Take out the Thermostat. You will never be short of heat on a 2.7.
Problem.......

Aside from the arbitrary C/E light that will stare back at you,....The PCM KNOWS how fast and how intense the Heat should build in the coolant.....

The change in Temperature from "Preprogrammed" will alter the fuel curve, and you will be sucking gas worse than before. You may also have "Fan Strategy " issues due to the loss of heat.

Anything with a "WIDE" water jacket , will overheat MISERABLY without some kind of restriction in the cooling system. The coolant flows Too fast to absorb heat, , and the drop in pressure, also lowers the boiling point of the coolant.

And last But not least..... If you live in an emission test Area......The MIL is grounds for rejection everytime......and since it is not the easiest one in the lot to replace, I would rather not be forced to do that job, While "UNDER THE GUN" for an inspection sticker.

All in all, I really havent seen to much in the way Of Overheat problems in the 2.7... The 3.5 is prone to head warpage if you overheat it...the 2.0/2.4 eat head gaskets whether you heat them up or not.

I'm not an engineer, So I really cant speculate why the "POWERS THAT BE" decide to do things the way they do.....But this day and age, Very little is customizeable without a MAsters degree in computer science....

As a Teenager, I made TONS OF MONEY retrofitting all the POINT style distributors, and Or Infamous "LEAN BURN" systems to Electronic ignitions....Pretty basic....Stuff a camshaft in the car and slap on a set of exhaust headers and you were set....

NOT ANYMORE......

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM

Some pretty good points you make there DNT.

Aside from the arbitrary C/E light that will stare back at you,....The PCM KNOWS how fast and how intense the Heat should build in the coolant
That sounds encouraging actually. Does that also mean that I get a light if the Thermostat Sticks Closed??? That would really be helpful.If that is true I have no problem abandoning my plans.

But wait........that would be wayy too much to hope for right??

Or is there a warning for a stuck thermostat.?......other than after the fact Temperature Gauge.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

same thing the engine knows based off the rpm of the engine and the temp outside how fast it will take to warm up if to fast or to slow it knows.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM

The 2.7 is pretty reliable, I have 85K+ miles on an '07 and haven't ever seen the needle budge from halfway on the gauge once the engine warmed up (and it was 108 degrees in Phoenix yesterday). Did a coolant flush at 50K, saw no issues, topped it off and went on my way. I may consider replacing it at my 100K service, but I'm having no problems and I drive in blistering hot conditions in the metro Phoenix area every day.

Now if you really want to extend the life of your 2.7, invest in Dura-Lube...my Eagle Vision went over 330K with ZERO engine problems before it got totaled, and my '73 Diplomat made it to 275K before that.