Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

fog lights not working, bulbs fine & fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Default fog lights not working, bulbs fine & fuse

My fog lights are not working and also the indicator light. I tried to work the switch a lot,, but nothing. Fuse no. 13 is good and all the other lights work (low-beams, high-beams, taillights, turnsignals all work). I then took out the multifunction switch and applied 12 volt power from another source to the fog-light out pin on the harness (light blue wire). Both fog lights and the indicator came on. I then checked for power to the harness. I get power to the two top pins pins of the wire loom with the key on. Name:  Foglightmultiswitchconnector1G.jpg
Views: 10767
Size:  18.8 KB
I don't get power to the left bottom pin that is for Fog-light power in. I checked this purple wire for continuity back to fuse no. 13 and it's good. I assume that the multi-function switch somehow will route power to Both the foglight power-in pin and also to the pin the goes out to the foglights? I have the basic setup. On paper it looks simple. Just want to make sure if the new OEM multifunction switch will fix it when it comes in. Or if I have some other problem with it.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 PM

You do realize that the fog lights will not come on unless the headlights are on, right?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Yes of course. Only with the low beams on (not high beams) will they come on. I think both those pins on the harness for power-in and power-out to the foglights are energized when the multifunction switch is in the correct position. That switch inside, how it's routed, is confusing. The fog lights lights used to work but the car sat a while. I was wondering if the purple wire that is to the pin "fog-light power-in" is supposed to be energized all the time when the key is "on" like the two top pins on the harness.
Edit: This is a 1999 Sebring convertible JXI. I checked all those pins on the harness for continuity and get continuity back to fuse 13 on all pins. I have slight ohms resistance on the two positive pins. That probably is right as the fuse 13 completes a ground circuit. The only place I get 12.7 volts is the 2 pins on the top of the loom, with car battery connected (the other pins are zero). The multifunction switch may activate Both the power in and power out side to the foglights. This car must have had a slight short because it killed the battery and I could not hook up a charger to it until I jiggled the multifunction switch or maybe it was a wire I moved. I'm leaning more toward it just being the switch inside. New OEM switch on the way.

Last edited by aifam55; 01-02-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM

I was looking at my Sebring wiring diagrams for the pin-outs when I realized I have no idea what year or model your car is, since yours is obviously different from mine. Maybe if you posted more details about your vehicle you might get a response from someone with a similar car.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Turn the swirch offf and on forcefully about ten times. This is a common problem.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 AM

I did try that. I was aware of that and pulled out the switch dozens of times and could not get anything at all. This is why I wanted to check the wiring also while I was waiting on the switch. Something also killed the almost new battery. There was a slight short. Not a full short. But after I jiggled around the switch I was able to hook the battery charger up and get it to charge up. I pulled the switch out and the battery did not drain. I have a hunch it's the switch itself and not the wiring. There is really nothing rubbing any wires and the only other thing might be corrosion. I get continuity for all the pins on the harness back to fuse no. 13. I think the multifunction switch might activate Both the power-in and power-out to the foglights. That purple wire (power-in fog lights) may require that a good multifunction switch be installed to have 12 volts running through it. On paper the wiring looks deceptively simple. The multifunction switch with fog lights is $60 more than the non-foglight one, so inside it may have a lot more connections.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM

I had to yank as hard as I could several times to get mine to work. I had a couple of these switches apart and they are very complicated looking inside. I don't recommend taking them apart, I messed up both switches that I took apart. I think you should have power to the "fog light in" plug. When I wired my jx with factory fog lights, I was missing the proper wires, so I think I ran a wire from the left headlight circuit to the "fog light in" pin. You may have to turn on the low beams when you check for power.

Last edited by indysebring; 01-03-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 AM

The new multi-function switch corrected the problem. I did check for continuity on the old switch between the power-in and power-out foglight pins and that part was fine. So the problem was not the part of the stalk where you pull it out to turn on the foglights. The problem was something internal where the power-in to foglights was fed off the the low-beam circuit. This likely was my problem with the slight short that drained the battery. You are right the switch inside is complicated. I tried to take to apart after checking pins for continuity but it would take me hours to get it back together if at all. If I were to try to clean one of these, I would just loosen the screws only one-turn and spray electromotive cleaner through it and let it run out and then tighten the screws back up.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Default Fog Lamp wiring

After reviewing the fog lamp post I would like to know what the wire color codes are that go to the multi purpose switch controling the fog lamps. I see where Indysebring added two wires to his JX. Purple for the fog light power, but no mention for the fog light out terminal. I would like to add fog lamps to my own JX. I have the lamps and the multi purpose switch already. Can you help?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM

I had to run the power out wire all the way to the actual fog light socket, it was easier than trying to trace the wire under the dash. I also had to replace the connectors at the fog lights because the existing ones that were there were too corroded to work.

Quick Reply: fog lights not working, bulbs fine & fuse