Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

going from non synthetic to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Default going from non synthetic to synthetic

Hi,
I have a 1996 chrysler sebring with about 130,000 miles on it.
I've been using non synthetic oil and I am planning on switching over to using full synthetic oil.
I was wondering if I just pour it in like a normal oil change or do I have to do some special procedure before switching over?

Also, what is the difference between 5w 30 and 10w 30?
My friend told me to use 10w 30 because it is better for older cars with higher mileage, so should I upgrade my oil viscosity also?

Looking forward to your replies,

Viet

Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 PM

Don't bother with synthetic. It's a waste of money. Leave the viscosity alone. That advice of jumping to a heavier oil is old school. Older engines had big fat oil passages. Yours does not.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-18-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Don't bother with synthetic. It's a waste of money. Leave the viscosity alone. That advice of jumping to a heavier oil is old school. Older engines had big fat oil passages. Yours does not.

Thank you for your reply, TNtech, but, frankly, I don't understand. How is using synthetic oil a waste of money? My friends tell me that synthetic oil is better for your engine, so if its better for your engine wouldn't it be worth the few extra dollars?
But, if what you say is true, then what oil brand would you recommend for my car? I used valvoline in my last oil change and I plan on switching to mobil 1 because of all the good I hear about it.

Also, while we are on the subject of engine care, I would like to know what are your thoughts about fuel system cleaners?

Thanks,

Viet

Old 05-19-2011, 05:16 AM

Unless the vehicle specifically requires it....(RECOMMENDED DOES NOT MEAN REQUIRED)..

Synthetic oil is a waste of time , money and effort. The only time you will see a benefit from ANYTHING in your vehicle, is when what you have is INADEQUATE to start with.

Everyone will tell you what you should use because its "Just Better".....But no one will ever tell you WHy it's better.....Everyone has something to sell you, and they will keep on selling it as long as you believe in it.....The engineers who designed it have been paid in "BLOOD MONEY" to come up with something that works. If Changing oil mixture,or putting "Donkey water " in your tank , would show a benefit of any kind...Dont you think the factory guys would have used it during the design process????

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by vpham209
Also, while we are on the subject of engine care, I would like to know what are your thoughts about fuel system cleaners?

Thanks,

Viet
If you don't run crappy gas then you won't need it. As far as I know there is no such thing as a FUEL SYSTEM cleaner. It's advertised as such but that's not what it is. If you think your car has been neglected, then run something through the tank. However it's a VERY slow process. There are products designed to get rid of buildup in your INDUCTION system and combustion chamber. As in... the top of the piston, top ring groove, valve stems and ports, intake runners. Chevron Techron and BG 44K are a couple. If you run good gas you'll never need it. If your injectors get clogged, most likely they are going to stay that way.

Look, we're not mocking anyone here. I work on 10-20 of these cars a day. I do driveability and electrical. If I genuinely thought this stuff was good, it would be in mine...it's not. And it's not in any of the other tech's cars either.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-20-2011 at 10:18 PM.