Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

heat/AC blowing out of defrost ONLY

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Can anyone tell me where the heater blend door actuator is located.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Raider
Can anyone tell me where the heater blend door actuator is located.
For what model vehicle, what HVAC system?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM

oh, sorry. 2008 Sebring convertible 2.4l. I found the acuator. it's on the lower driver side side wall. It moves one plastic that arm that is connected to a second plastic arm. The two arms have become disconnected. Do you no what the second arm connects to. The actuator is clicking. If I replace it and i still get hot air I'm think it maybe whatever the second arm is connected to.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Still unsure if your vehicle is equipped with a Manual or Automatic HVAC system.

All vehicles are equipped with a common heater, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) housing. The heating-A/C system combines A/C, heating, and ventilating capabilities in a single HVAC housing mounted within the passenger compartment beneath the instrument panel. The HVAC housing includes:
  • A/C evaporator
  • Mode-air doors
  • Mode door actuator
  • Recirculation-air door and actuator
  • Particulate air filter (when equipped)
  • Blower motor
  • Blower motor resistor or power module (depending on system application)
  • Blend door actuator
  • Heater core
  • Evaporator temperature sensor
  • Blend-air door
Both the manual temperature control (MTC) and the automatic temperature controlled (ATC) heating-A/C systems are blend-air type systems. In a blend-air system, a blend-air door controls the amount of conditioned air that is allowed to flow through, or around the heater core. This design allows almost immediate control of output air temperature.

NOTE: Typical blend-air type HVAC system shown.

The heating-A/C system pulls outside (ambient) air through the fresh air intake located at the cowl panel at the base of the windshield and into the air inlet housing above the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) housing and passes through the A/C evaporator. Air flow is then directed either through or around the heater core. This is done by adjusting the position of the blend-air door with the temperature control located on the A/C-heater control in the instrument panel. Air flow is then directed out the floor outlet, instrument panel outlet or the defroster outlet in various combinations by adjusting the position of the mode-air doors using the mode control located on the A/C-heater control. The temperature and mode control uses electrical actuators to operated the air doors.

The velocity of the air flow out of the outlets can be adjusted with the blower speed control located on the A/C-heater control.

The fresh air intake can be shut off by pressing the Recirculation button on the A/C-heater control. This will operate the electrically actuated recirculation-air door, which closes off the fresh air intake. With the fresh air intake closed, the conditioned air within the vehicle is pulled back into the HVAC housing through the recirculation air intake.

The A/C compressor can be engaged by pressing the A/C (snowflake) button on the A/C-heater control. It will automatically engage when the mode control is set in any Mix to Defrost position. This will remove heat and humidity from the air before it is directed through or around the heater core. The mode control on the A/C-heater control is used to direct the conditioned air to the selected system outlets.

The front and rear floor outlets receive airflow from the HVAC housing through the front and rear floor ducts. The front floor outlets are integral to the molded plastic front floor ducts, which are secured to each side of the HVAC housing. Two molded plastic rear seat ducts are attached to the two molded plastic rear floor ducts, which are secured to the rear of the HVAC housing. The rear seat ducts direct airflow beneath the carpet to the outlets located near the front of each rear seat foot well. None of the floor outlets can be adjusted.

The panel outlets receive airflow from the HVAC housing through a single molded plastic panel outlet duct, which is secured to the top of the instrument panel. The airflow from each of the panel outlets is adjustable. A thumbwheel located on each panel outlet is used to adjust a diffuser that changes the airflow direction, and each panel outlet grille has a shutter that opens or closes to turn airflow on or off through that outlet.

The defroster outlets receive airflow from the HVAC housing through the molded plastic defroster duct, which is secured to the top of the instrument panel. The airflow from the defroster outlets is directed by fixed vanes in the defroster outlet grilles and cannot be adjusted.

The side window demister outlets receive airflow from the HVAC housing through the defroster duct and molded plastic demister ducts, which are also secured to the top of the instrument panel. The airflow from the side window demister outlets is directed by fixed vanes and cannot be adjusted. The side window demister outlet grilles are integral to the instrument panel outlets and direct air from the HVAC housing through the outlets on the top corners of the instrument panel. The demisters operate when the mode control is set in any Floor to Defrost position.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Thumbs up A/C going crazy

Wife's 02 Stratus's A/C has been going crazy, thinking it was the control head I went to the junk yard to get another one to put in it. After I did it started working so I took the old one apart and found all the solder joint to be lose, resoldered them and now it works so I have a backup so if the junkyard one goes bad I have one to put back in.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm having a similar issue. 01 Sebring Sedan. Only blows cold air. I tried resetting climate control as directed above but my defrost button doesn't work anymore. Blower doped works fine, as I've already replaced the blower motor because it would only work on 4th speed. Basically 2 months later my heat only blows cool air and only on defrost. I have reset it a few times by pulling 10A and it goes through the diff settings but then right back to defrost and cool air. Please help. It's cold!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Replace the control head. Search the forum here for many discussions on how to do it. You can try a junkyard unit but the junkyard unit might have the same problem.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Default '06 Sebring conv. a/c & heat blows from defrost, vents, heater

Will this "calibration" method work for my 2006 Sebring convertible? I've tried it but haven't noticed any difference. The "chime" from the defroster just sounds like like it normally does when I turn on the defroster. I tried long pressing it for a different sound but nothing happened. I did not get any kind of "report" in my odometer either.
Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Is yours a coupe, sedan or convertible? If it's a sedan or convertible, there's a "calibration" technique you can run. With the engine running, turn the temp **** all the way to the cold side. Turn the mode **** all the way to the defrost position. Put the fan switch to any position other than off. Then press the rear defroster button until you hear a chime. Let it go. The system will go thru some gyrations and give you a "report" in your odometer readout. A "0" is good.
You may have a bad control head. As you noted, the default mode is defrost, so if the body computer senses a loss of signal from the controls, it will put it into defrost.
Again assuming yours is a convertible or sedan, salvage control heads are fairly commonly available on eBay and in junkyards. The part is used in the sedan and convertible and in the Dodge Stratus from 2001 through 2006, so there are lots of them out there. It's an easy replacement which I would definitely try before tearing the dash apart.
The IOD fuse is the one in the middle of the fuse panel at the left end of the dashboard. Easily recognized by the "ears". You can pop it out with no tools.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM

I believe that technique should work on your '06 convertible, assuming it's not an ATC system. (Automatic Temperature Control). All the rest of the comments should apply as well.
The system is controlled by the body computer. If the body computer senses a fault, it will put the system into defrost mode, so if it's always in defrost, there's something wrong and the "calibration" technique should sense and report it. Make sure the engine is running (not just key on).

You can replace the control head yourself easily for less than the cost of taking it to the dealer for diagnosis, so I would try that first.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 PM

I wasn't able to get any results or report when I did it. I also tried removing the IOD fuse and replacing it to no avail. I'm wondering if it could be the mode door actuator based on things I've read. The adjustment (low-high) works fine as does the temp dial. The only one that doesn't work properly is the mode dial. I get plenty of cold air, I just never know where it's going to blow from. And if I hit a bump in the road or step on the gas/brake too hard, it will change on it's own. It constantly changes from defroster to floor vent, to air vent in no particular order. It does the same when using the heater.

How easy would that be to do a DIY repair/replacement for a first timer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heat/AC blowing out of defrost ONLY