Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help - how do I change a headlight lamp?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Default Help - how do I change a headlight lamp?

I have a 1996 Sebring JX - I need help on how to replace a headlight bulb - anybody have a step by step??

Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Help - how do I change a headlight lamp?

[ol][*]Look in your owners manual for instructions[*]Follow instructions[/ol]
If you don't have an owners manual, you should get one. People are selling them all the time on eBay. You can probably buy it off the jerk who sold you the car and kept the owners manual.

In the meantime, with the hood of the car open, look on the radiator upper crossmember, just over the headlights for two mounting screws. There are several screws there, some for adjusting and some for mounting. The ones nearer the inboard and outboard ends of the headlight are the mounting screws. They will require a Torx screwdriver of the correct size, probably a T25. Remove those screws, pull the headlight out and you should be able to get to the bulb to remove it. There is a relatively large round ring holding the bulb in place. Rotate that ring 1/4 turn counterclockwise, then pull it out and the bulb should come out with it.
When putting the new bulb in, make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers. The oils from your fingers can cause problems because the bulbs operate at a high temperature and pressure. The oils could cause the bulb to break.
Put it back together by reversing what you did to take it apart. You should be good to go.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 PM

One caution that I'd add to dcotter's instructions is to pay attention to the outer corner of the lamp assembly when you pull it out. There is a plastic ball that "holds" the outer corner (closest to the wheel well) in place. It may take a little finesse to get it loose.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

On my 97 LXI there is a moisture cap to be removed first, and then a spring clip that is very awkward to depress at the top, then move to the side to release. The bulb then changes easily. Getting the spring clip back into position can be a challenge. I also have to remove the mounting screws and slide the light unit forward to get access with my fat short fingers.