Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help me diagnose a flooded 2008 2.7l Sebring.....THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Default Help me diagnose a flooded 2008 2.7l Sebring.....THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Thanks in advance for reading this and trying to help me out. but long story short, I bought a flodded 2008 2.7l sebring and iam slowly trying to bring it alive.
The issue first started when I would turn on the ignition key, the car wont start, so like many, i started withthe plugs, changed those, emptied the intake manifold from all the accumulated water, cleaned the maf sensor, throttlke body, and now iam thinking of swapping the starter or atleast taking it to one of the autostores to get it tested since it doesnt seem to be able to turn the car well or fast enough i should say. it always seems to be struggling.
Questions:
1) does the throttle body sensor need to be replaced due to water getting to it?
2) Does the maf sensor need to be replaced?
3) how to remove the starter? do i need to remove the center member thats lateral to the wheels? there is the front engine mount on it. should I remove the whole thing (beam) inorder to remove the starter?

And any other thoughts would highly be appreciated.
Thanks Alot
Jimmy

Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Bump for any answers or suggestions!
Thanks and goodday!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Make sure you don't have a cylinder full of water that you are trying to compress by cranking. Remove all the spark plugs before attempting to crank any flooded engine to get any water out of the cylinders. Change the oil and try turning the engine by hand. It could be seized up due to corrosion, in which case you are probably better off replacing the engine completely. If you can get it to tun over by hand then start working on the electronics. Remove, dry and replace all the electrical connections. Check the starter on the bench. This is going to be a big project. There's a reason you got that car so cheap. Now you are going to start paying.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM

Thank you very much for the feedback sir! Unfortunatly and actualy luckily it isnt my car but its my friend's whos not that mechanicaly inclined and iam helping him out.
last time i saw the car, i did think that there was water in the cylinders and it might have been hydrolocked so i removed the front 3 plugs, and asked him to crank it while i was looking thru the plug holes, and I noticed that the cylinders are turning but very slowly, so that kinda showed me it isnt locked. I will double check tomorrow as iam planning on going elbow deeps into it.
once again thanks for the comments! and i will keep this thread updated with my findings.
cheers!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

so i swapped the starter, cleanuped the in manifold and tbody, and now everything works ..lol was so happy when we turned her and it worked. thanks alot everyone!