Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help me get the kid on the road

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Default Help me get the kid on the road

From reading some of the posts that I have looked at I think you guys know your stuff. I have a 96 Sebring with a 2.5 v-6. Only gave $300 for the car so you can imagine the problems. Here is the big one. When you start the car up the tach goes to about 3000 rpm and stays there. Check engine light is on so I took it to Auto Zone and read the codes. One thing it showed was a map sensor so I changed it,and if I unpluged the old or new map sensor the idle did drop but it wasn't smooth. It also showed a code P1294 and all I can find on that is "target idle speed not reached" Well duh at 3000 rpm no wonder. Ok so I know the guys at the local AZ and they let me put on a new Idle air control valve sensor that didn't help. So now I am at the point of getting the old 8 lb sledge out and haveing a nice little chat with the car. Please help me out here. I am trying to get this thing going for my step-daughter and it is getting under my skin. Any ideas or thoughts would be great.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Help me get the kid on the road

It sounds like you have a very large vacuum leak somewhere. That could either be from a hose or line on the outside of the engine, or it could also be from one of the devices that control the vacuum for use within the engine (a broken PCV valve, a faulty EGR valve, the EVAP system, etc.)

Another thing to look at is the throttle plate itself, ensuring the idle stop is not ill-adjusted, or sticky, and that the Throttle Position Sensor is adjusted and working correctly. Intake manifolds and things that connect to it are also subject to vacuum leakage.

It can take a while, but try spraying Carb Cleaner around the manifolds and hoses. Listen for an RPM drop. That's a leak.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Default RE: Help me get the kid on the road

took the car to a shop and they said it was an idle speed motor. I have heard of these things but I don't know what they do. Any way hopefully that will take care of it and we can get it legal and going. thanks for the help.