Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

how do i test my distributpr 00 sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Default how do i test my distributpr 00 sebring

I am not getting spark and i'm pretty sure i'm not getting fuel to my injectors I do hear the pump come on when i turn the key but I do not smell gas at the tailpipe.I'm not getting any codes either except when i installed another cps the ecu read as being bad so I put the old one back in and went and got a distributor at the wrecking yard put it in and still no fire so my question is since i have the dist, off is there a way of bench checking the coil or is it best to do it with it in the car? and how exactly do i do this?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Your post creates more questions than answers. Which engine do you have? It makes a difference.
What are you talking about when you mention "cps". Crankshaft position sensor? That is usually abbreviated "CKP", so as not to confuse it with the camshaft position sensor (CMP).
You can find lots of information about your car and its specs in a Haynes Manual or a Chilton's Manual, or even a Chrysler shop manual, which is better, but more expensive.

If the engine computer detects a problem with the ignition sufficient to prevent the car from running, it will shut down (via the ASD, or auto shut down relay) both the spark and fuel, so your tailpipe sniff test doesn't mean much.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM

It's a 2.5 ltr and yes I meant CKP! and does the asd relay supply power to the pump or the injector pulse? cause i hear the pump come on!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM

The ASD relay powers the injectors.

Check the coil primary resistance across the two primary connections. Find the connector with two wires. It should be between 0.6 and 0.8 ohms.

Measure the secondary side of the coil between the coil secondary terminal and terminals 1 and 2 on the connector. The readings should be 12,000 to 18,000 ohms.

The distributor is something of a weak link, so there's no guarantee that your scrap-yard part is any good. Browse the forums here for quite a lot of discussion about "no-start" problems with this engine.

Check your ASD relay. It's either in the fuse box under the hood or mounted on the firewall.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM

The coil checked out ok so I had a friend come ove and put a test light on the green/orange wire i turned the ignition switch on it kit for a second the tripped the asd
relay that told me either the ckp or cam sensor was bad i went with the ckp and was right she fired right up! thanks everyone for the help!

Scott Snyder