Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

I Want To Buy A Sebring - Here's What I Know - Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Cool I Want To Buy A Sebring - Here's What I Know - Help Me

If you're in this thread, thank you ... I'm a future "Sebring Owner" hopefully and contributor to this site, but in order to get there, I need some help.

I'm looking at a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Touring (Sedan) ... 2.7L V6
161,000 km's (100k Miles Approx).

Here's what I've found ...

Little to no rust, (under the doors, some) 2 rust patches when you open the hood up on and look on the body of the car (above the lights, on the metal, close to the hood hatch) ... don't know why.

Front seat is a little wobbly but nothing huge, no noises from any of the seats.
Back rear window does not work.

MAIN CONCERN:
We hear some sort of "Knocking" from the engine / whistling when you drive. I'm not sure if this is common or the signs of something on the outs, but the owner says its been making the noise since he's purchased it and he's not concerned about ... he isn't, but I am.

The whistling you hear when you drive ... kinda like a belt, something along the lines of that SOUND ...
The knocking is very small and you only hear it when the car is in park and idling, there's something ...

Side Note: I wanted to drop the back seats but the owner couldn't tell me how ... is there a strap somewhere in the back of the trunk or is it dropped from inside the car? The owner seemed to think it was on the inside, I however, owning other back-dropping-seated cars, thinks its in the trunk ... I just couldn't find a pull strap or any button.

So ... can you guys help me out there ...
OTHER THAN THESE PROBLEMS I've listed, the car's inside is clean, the body is in great condition, the other parts look good ...
It's just the engine we're worried about.

I'm doing some reading online as well ... the car's brakes seemed fine, steering is good, shocks are good ... we didn't see any sludge, leaks or anything of the sort to show engine concerns. The car did not stall (these are all things I read about the Sebring online already).

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated. Like I said, you're newest member but ... I gotta buy the car first, so please ... help.
Thanks.

Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Rob / DaVibe

Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Welcome to the site
2.7 junk motor

Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by xfire04
Welcome to the site
2.7 junk motor
LOL Really? I'm going to read up on that, but why ... personally I'd be more comfortable driving a V6 as opposed to a 4-Cylinder, which is why I always opt for it ...

So ... your own past experience or that's documented or something?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM

U.S. Class Action lawsuits against Chrysler on the sludge found in the 2.7's ... okay fair enough, but this is nothing NEW to me, since I've read of these reports in the 01 Oldsmobile Alero I currently own ... exact same problem.

Something for me to keep in mind ... especially since of what I'm seeing already (we didn't find any sludge, but it's something to definitely begin looking for) ...

Do you know how to drop down the back seats? Stupid but I really need to know how to do this lol

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM

all i know is the problem with the engine

Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Found someone who told me that there's a strap of some sort on the inside of the car when you open the door, you can see it ...
That's something I'll look for.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM

I've got a 2002 with the 2.7, have owned it since new. It has about 105,000 miles. ZERO engine problems. Also have a 2001 convertible, same engine. I bought it a couple of years ago and it also has over 100,000 miles. Replaced the coolant outlet manifold last year, but can't say what the previous owner(s) might have done. I don't see any evidence of major work on the engine, and it runs fine.

Would hesitate to guess what your whistling noise might be. Timing chain? Minor vacuum leak?

Yes, the seat pulls down with a strap at the top of the back cushion.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Would you say it is more a 'whistle' or a 'whine'?

I ask cuz my 97 Sebring has a 'whine' which I am (fairly) certain is the alternator...
Doesnt bother me as long as it charges... but it IS prominent...
I could probably get rid of it by replacing it (as it is likely a defective 'rectifier assmbly') but right now it is no issue...

A whistle is likely (tho not necessarily) a vacuum leak...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM

I have a 1999 Chrysler Sebring for sale.
Gold color. Convertible. Black interior.
? Blown head gasket.
Pretty car!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Instead of wasting your time putting up random messages, how about you pay a little attention first ...
This thread is from 2010 ...
I'm in a different COUNTRY than you, nevermind different state
And your car has a blown head gasket ... the whole reason why I never went with the Sebring after all.

All the best.