Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Intermittent Sebring Air Conditioner

Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Smile Intermittent Sebring Air Conditioner

My Sebring air conditioning is working great, recharged it a couple of times and it's pretty cold ... But once in a while it just blows warm air. I just went to check it and of course it works perfectly fine now
Any idea what could be the problem ?
Much appreciated !

Old 06-25-2017, 03:50 PM

Temperature of the discharge air is controlled by the "blend door" which mixes outside air with heated or cooled air to control the air temperature. If I'm not mistaken, you can see and service the blend door actuator from under the dash without removing the whole system. While that's one possible source of the problem, it's not the only one. Other possible trouble areas might be the control head on the dash (a known problem on the 2001-2006 Sebrings) and the body computer which controls the whole HVAC system based on inputs from the controls on the dash.
Chasing down multiple possible causes on a problem that's intermittent is something like a game of whack-a-mole. You're never really sure the problem is fixed and if it eventually goes away, you're never sure what caused it and which of your repairs actually fixed it.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:59 AM
Default More details on how intermittent !

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Temperature of the discharge air is controlled by the "blend door" which mixes outside air with heated or cooled air to control the air temperature. If I'm not mistaken, you can see and service the blend door actuator from under the dash without removing the whole system. While that's one possible source of the problem, it's not the only one. Other possible trouble areas might be the control head on the dash (a known problem on the 2001-2006 Sebrings) and the body computer which controls the whole HVAC system based on inputs from the controls on the dash.
Chasing down multiple possible causes on a problem that's intermittent is something like a game of whack-a-mole. You're never really sure the problem is fixed and if it eventually goes away, you're never sure what caused it and which of your repairs actually fixed it.
Thank you dcotter0579, very much appreciated !!
Now having tested the aircon a bit more, I have some new information that could help pinpoint the failure: it works for about 20 minutes then stops working. You have then stop the aircon for an other 20min and it will work fine again for 20min

Appreciate any input about what that could mean !!
Your appreciative site member

Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 AM

The HVAC system is controlled by the body computer, as I noted above. Also involved is the control head on the dash. Both have circuit boards. Circuit boards can be subject to intermittent failure when they heat up, expand a little bit and lose continuity at a weak solder joint. When they cool down and contract continuity can be re-established. Not saying that's your problem but maybe it could be. Following the "when in doubt, replace the cheapest things first" philosophy, you might want to replace the control head to see if that does the trick. Others have had success opening it up and re-soldering the joints on the circuit board. If you're good with a soldering gun, you could give that a try. Because of the cost, the body computer should be farther down the list of things to try.
Other possible areas of concern could include the expansion valve and the receiver/dryer, which could be partially plugged.

You say you "recharged it a couple of times". Are you sure you didn't over charge it? Why would it need charging more than once? The only way to be sure you have the correct charge in there is to evacuate the system and add back in the correct amount.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 07-04-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM

That is really great information dcotter0579. I just checked and can find the control head on Amazon (see the link). For the recharging, it has been over 10 years and it does the trick each time (really cold now when it works)

Amazon Amazon

Thank you again, will let you know ! ericbo101

Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 PM

Got the control head from Amazon within few days and changed it (5 minutes ...)
Of course it worked when I started it and drove, will test run for a week or so before declaring victory ...
But dcotter0579, owe you and would love to send you some gift card if you do not mind sharing an email address

Old 07-16-2017, 06:51 PM

Glad it has worked out. That's plenty of thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Most welcome dcotter579 !
Unfortunately by day 3, was back to the intermittent problem
What do you think would be the next best step ?
Happy to keep repacing until it works ... teaches me aircon !
Thank you so much

Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM

See if the blend door is working properly. If it's not working then you'll need to determine if the problem is the actuator or the computer that controls the actuator. If that's not the problem you might want to try replacing the expansion valve and the receiver/dryer. Since you have to replace the freon to do either, might as well do both.

You'll probably have it figured out by December. BTW, there are books on repairing the A/C system. Might be worth the investment.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Thank you dcotter0579 !
I tested the aircon and found the cooling lines hot while on aircon so doubt it is a blend door issue ... Got myself the AC system repair book and ordered the expansion/receiver/dryer
More soon !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Sebring Air Conditioner