Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Lettering on the back of my Sebring are starting to fade.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Default Lettering on the back of my Sebring are starting to fade.

I just bought myself a 2004 Chrysler Sebring LXi and I am loving it! The only problem so far is that the raised lettering on the back that say "Sebring" amd "LXi" are beginning to fade.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what have you done to fix it? I was thinking about re-painting the lettering, but it would take a while to tape off the area around the letters in order to re-paint.
The other option would be to remove the letters and paint them, but how do I remove them without damaging the paint on the car? How would I re-seal the letters to the car?
I am new at this, it's my first car and I don't want to do anything wrong.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Matthew Hayhurst

Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 AM

The letters are plastic and glued on with an integral foam/rubber/adhesive. I sliced them off with a razor blade, careful not to damage me or the car, leaving some rubber. Then a pressure washer took off most of the remaining foam/rubber stuff. You'll always be able to see where they were unless the car is buffed out or sanded & painted. Which is what I plan to do. I took the letters off because they are incredibly hard to mask, and will build up a thick layer of paint on the edges which will crack and peel later.

Get some water based paint, like for pinstriping, and touch them up with a brush. Any stray paint can be wiped off (before it dries) and should last years before you have to do it again.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dodger
The letters are plastic and glued on with an integral foam/rubber/adhesive. I sliced them off with a razor blade, careful not to damage me or the car, leaving some rubber. Then a pressure washer took off most of the remaining foam/rubber stuff. You'll always be able to see where they were unless the car is buffed out or sanded & painted. Which is what I plan to do. I took the letters off because they are incredibly hard to mask, and will build up a thick layer of paint on the edges which will crack and peel later.

Get some water based paint, like for pinstriping, and touch them up with a brush. Any stray paint can be wiped off (before it dries) and should last years before you have to do it again.
Awesome! Thank You!

My only problem with water based paint is that it comes off too easily when the car is washed. Would I have to add a primer or something after the paint dries or is just applying the paint good enough?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM

Just go to the dealer and buy the leters. They are not that expensive, and will look a million times better than any hand painting you can do. They come on a backing and stick on real easily. Make sure you are putting them on straight because there is no moving them once they are stuck.
You can get the old ones off with a heat gun and a plastic or wooden tool to lift them up. Be careful not to overdo the heat.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 PM

DITTO. the letters are not that expensive, and your car will have the OEM look that it deserves, besides, it's much easier to put them on than to paint.

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Just go to the dealer and buy the leters. They are not that expensive, and will look a million times better than any hand painting you can do. They come on a backing and stick on real easily. Make sure you are putting them on straight because there is no moving them once they are stuck.
You can get the old ones off with a heat gun and a plastic or wooden tool to lift them up. Be careful not to overdo the heat.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I just pulled the lettering off of my 04 Sebring today. I just used my finger nails to peel them off, didn't use a heat gun or razor blades and it was very easy. There was some adhesive residue showing an outline of where the letters once were, but I was able to clean it off with quick detailing, some good ol' elbow grease and also used a white eraser to get off the more stubborn leftovers. Not sure if I will replace them, I kind of like how it looks without them.