Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Looking for Engine number

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Default Looking for Engine number

Hi everyone,

Glad to have found this forum. I look forward to exchanging info and tips. I'm afraid I have to start out with a question. Is the VIN stamped anywhere on the engine? Or would it be a different number???? What happened is, I had transmission problems, took it to a shade tree place, he said he rebuilt the trans. The problem is the day I got it back from him it now has a noise, that I could only call valve noise(ticking). Another shop said this is normal for these engines after so long, and that it is not adjustable/fixable. So any ways, I think the first guy might have just swapped a salvage yard motor/tranny because there was no noise when I took it to him.... Not sure exactly what happened, but I'd like to check the block number if possible. Any info would be appreciated.

TIA,
Jim

Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
ace
Default RE: Looking for Engine number

what kinda of car is it?
ngines have stamping numbers on them i think they are on the head or near the head on th block.
how long did he have it away from you?
alos is their any writing on the engine in a paint most junkyards write the vin on the engine with miles as well.
look for small details on the engine mounting bolts wiring connections if he did do a switch their will be some sort of trail (no i dont watch csi either).
if i know what year and make of car i can see where they have the stamping number i work for a dealer and i have acces to certain things..

Old 02-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Default RE: Looking for Engine number

My bad..... I put it in the profile while signing up, I thought it would show up Any ways, it's a 97 Sebring. The guy had it for 8 or 9 days. I didn't notice any writing like you were talking about, but I'll look closer in the a.m.

Thanks for the help,
Jim