Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

my baby won't start any ideas, thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Question my baby won't start any ideas, thanks

Hi there, my 1996 sebring jx 2.5L die on me, i found out that the timing belt skip on the crankshaft like 4 teeth or it a full ratation plus 4 teeth, i install a new one and move all the timing marks on both camshafts and crankshafts to lign up the ones on the body. i also made sure that #1 was at TDC and that rotor on the distributor was om #1. i check all my relays and fuses, my fuel pump works and i check my spark plug cables and there was spark, and of course my spark plugs too. battery is good too, i crank the engine and it turns over but no start instead it turns then like a small combustion like 4 of them and little smoke come out from the intake manifold. any ideas why it doesnt want to start? i know that the crankshaft rotates twice than the camshaft, does it has anything to do that i could be one crackshaft rotation off?
thanks i would really appriciate if anybody knows my problem.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:44 PM

On that engine, the ignition is controlled by a distributor that runs off the camshaft, so it shouldn't matter that the crankshaft is "one rotation off". The crankshaft just sends the pistons up and down.

It's conceivable that some internal damage occurred when the timing belt was off by 4 teeth. That could be ruled out by checking the compression. There are several threads in the forum here started by people having similar problems. Browse around and pick up some more ideas.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
On that engine, the ignition is controlled by a distributor that runs off the camshaft, so it shouldn't matter that the crankshaft is "one rotation off". The crankshaft just sends the pistons up and down.

It's conceivable that some internal damage occurred when the timing belt was off by 4 teeth. That could be ruled out by checking the compression. There are several threads in the forum here started by people having similar problems. Browse around and pick up some more ideas.
Thanks for the info! so i did a compression test and they all pistons check out at zero! is it cause all the valves are bent? i have one question, is the a tdc compresion stroke and tdc exhast stroke diferent? could it be cause it set it on one instead of the other?

Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM

If you have zero compression on all cylinders, there's a pretty good chance that all the valves are bent due to the timing belt being 4 teeth out of place. Time to pull a head off and see what's going on.

Yes, TDC on the compression stroke is different from TDC on the exhaust stroke, but whether it's compression or exhaust is determined by the camshaft. If the valves are closed, it's the compression stroke. If the exhaust valve is open, it's the exhaust stroke. The camshaft is what drives the distributor, and the distributor tells the spark plug when to fire. Like I said above, the crankshaft simply runs the pistons up and down. The crankshaft has no way of knowing whether it's on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
If you have zero compression on all cylinders, there's a pretty good chance that all the valves are bent due to the timing belt being 4 teeth out of place. Time to pull a head off and see what's going on.

Yes, TDC on the compression stroke is different from TDC on the exhaust stroke, but whether it's compression or exhaust is determined by the camshaft. If the valves are closed, it's the compression stroke. If the exhaust valve is open, it's the exhaust stroke. The camshaft is what drives the distributor, and the distributor tells the spark plug when to fire. Like I said above, the crankshaft simply runs the pistons up and down. The crankshaft has no way of knowing whether it's on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke.
thanks i makes sense! i will do that check the head and see whats going on.